• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fly Repellant?

Charlie

Young Bun
I'm quite worried about my rabbit as her bottom often gets covered in poo.
I noticed today that flies were starting to go around this area and am worried that this might lead to maggots and infection.
Does anyone know what can stop this problem, would fly repellant be of any help, and is there any that you can actually spray onto the rabbit?

You can get rearguard from your vet. It is in a bottle with a sponge on the end and you apply it to the fur around the rabbits bottom.
Do you know why she gets a dirty bottom? Can she reach it to clean it? Does she have alot of greens?
I have a bun who cannot reach her bottom because she is an odd shape and I have to clean it every couple of days and watch what she eats.
Flystrike is deadly so if you can work out why she gets messy it would be a great help.

Louisa

Hiya :D Although fly repellant may help, the best thing to do is to work out why your bun keeps getting her bottom covered in poo and sort that out. In the meantime, your vet can give you a product called 'rearguard', you put it on your bun a bit like shoe polish, and it prevents fly eggs from hatching. While your bun is there, ask the vet to check his teeth, as a sticky bum can be caused by a bun with dental problems not being able to eat the sticky poos (caecatrophs) that she is supposed to.

A couple of other questions - is your bun overweight or have bone/joint problems at all? These can mean that she can't reach round to eat the poos either.

The most common cause is a dietary imbalance though. What are you feeding her? Too much protein in the diet and not enough fibre is the most common cause of this problem.

Back