• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please help - sneezing

jemma

Young Bun
i work in a pet shop and was givenone of the rabbits which wasnt selling - picked him up today and hes settled in but ive noticed he keeps sneezing - he looks well in himself and doesnt have a lot of discharge or anything there is the tinyest bit but he keeps washing his face aswell. hes really lively and everything.

but i have to admit i dont know an awful lot about rabbits i mean i know the basics etc but i just looked it up on the internet and it came up with SNUFFLES - and it sounds serious - so know im in a tizz

any help welcome

Would be a good idea to get him checked over by a vet, that way tests for e-cunli or pasturella can be done to rule out "snuffles", and they should also check the teeth too as overgrown teeth can sometimes cause sneezing where the roots push up :D

thanks for the reply! would it be ok to get him to them vets in the morning or is a a case of going now?

youl have to excuse me, im new to this

If you can get him there today, it would be good, as they may want to give him something today and see him tomorrow as well in case there's no improvement. Typical buns to get poorly on a Bank holiday Weekend!!! :roll: By going today, you're allowing yourself tomorrow if it's needed too, otherwise you may not be able to go back (other than ££££ emergency vets) until Tuesday :wink:

ok ta! just thought tomz as he only arrived today and is prob a bit stressed out anyway...

is it serious? im scared now! sorry to be a pain but i relly dont have clue?

will give vets a call in a sec :D

Do you have any other buns? If so it's prob best to get pasturella confirmed as either positive or negative asap as it can be transmitted to other buns. Another alternative is to call the vets and speak to them over the phone instead and see what they think.

no i havent got any other rabbits.

have been a guinea pig fan in the past! so although i work in a pet store i am new to bunny owning....

just trying to get through to the vets know will see what they think and take him down if they suggest it.

It would also be a good idea to tell the Pet Store as IF your Bun does have snuffles then any Buns he/she was in contact with at the shop are likely to be effected. They may not show any symptoms until the stress of moving to a new home triggers it off.
It is illegal to sell Livestock that are suspected of being unwell.

Janex

Thanks to you both i have made an appointment for half past 4 today, fingers crossed!

i have informed the pet store as i work there, and he wasnt sold to be as ill, he was donated to me as hes been there a while and hasnt sold and i kept going on about how much i liked him so in the end they donated him to me :)

sorry for being so cluelss and thanks again - i will update you

jemma said:
sorry for being so cluelss and thanks again - i will update you

Don't be, we're all here to learn!!! And it shows that you will be a great bunny mummy 'cos you're prepared to come on here and learn, so we can't judge you for that!!!

Let us know how you get on, and I'm sure whatever it is, Jane will be able to help you with, (eh Jane!!!! :wink: :lol: - you've come accross pretty much everything going bunny wise with your clan!!!!! A Valued member!!!!) :D

where abouts in Northants are you from? im from kingsthorpe

hehe i hope ill be a good bunny mummy, hes such a sweet heart i love him to bits already! hes such a nosey little chap, hehe
such a change for me as im a horsey girl lol so bunnies are slightly different!!!!!!!!! and yep i am here to learn as much as possible want the little chap to be happy.

jemma said:
where abouts in Northants are you from? im from kingsthorpe

hehe i hope ill be a good bunny mummy, hes such a sweet heart i love him to bits already! hes such a nosey little chap, hehe
such a change for me as im a horsey girl lol so bunnies are slightly different!!!!!!!!! and yep i am here to learn as much as possible want the little chap to be happy.

I Live in Rushden, but currently work in Northampton. There's a Rabbit Rescue in Ashton (near Roade?) That would be a great place to look at if you ever considered getting him a friend later on. You'll love them, bunnies have such great personalities!! -- Is he going to live indoors or out?

well at the moment hes living in the conservatory bit out the back so i can keep my eye on him but i havent really decided - i wasnt exactly planning to get him but felt sorry for him! somebody brought him and returned him (like a pair of shoes that didnt fit GRRRRRRRR) because he bit them 3 hours after they brought him - poor little bunny.

i havent even thought of a name yet................

i think prob an out door bunny but im not sure - but we have too dogs so prob wouldnt work too well having him as an indoor bunny.

thanks ill bear the rabbit rescue in mind.

Even If he does live outdoors, can I reccomend these two books as starters? As I found them really useful!

"Living with a houserabbit" - BY Dykes & Flack
"The Complete Houserabbit" - by Carolina James

And I know I shouldn't plug, but I created my own Website with lots of basic Bunny info on it http://fluffyfriends.moonfruit.com

thanks ill have a look at some of the books at work.

he has been named = WALLY hehe poor bunny

i took him to the vets he was given an antibiotic injection and a five day course of baytrill so im sure ill have fun trying to get that in his mouth lol

thanks for you help and advice i feel a lot better for taking him to the vet. hes having a snooze at the moment. :lol:

I'm glad he's OK for now :D

Syringe feeding isn't too difficult. If you struggle, wrap him in a towel so he can't kick out. As a last resort you can put it on a piece of cabbage or something to disguise the taste. :D

Where is it you work?

lol im a bit worried about answering your question after the other post i read and replied to in welfare section

pets at home.....
please see my other post before judging tho.... as i know what the feelings are on pets at home have replied to the post "ahhh that shop again"
or a similar title anyway!!! lol

Is that the one at Riverside? I don't comment on P@H as I have bad experience from my local one, but at the same time, good experiences too and I often have to get bits from there if I'm running low. So I remain neutral!!

jemma said:
thanks ill have a look at some of the books at work.

he has been named = WALLY hehe poor bunny

i took him to the vets he was given an antibiotic injection and a five day course of baytrill so im sure ill have fun trying to get that in his mouth lol

thanks for you help and advice i feel a lot better for taking him to the vet. hes having a snooze at the moment. :lol:

I'm afraid 5 days isn't likely to do much more than kill off the most suceptible bacteria leaving the stronger ones to breed once the course is finished :( He really needs to be on it for longer if there is to be any chance of warding off the infection. 10 days to a month would be necessary to make a good impact on the infection, otherwise it will just come back in a more resistant form :(

Sadly pet shop rabbits are very suceptible to snuffles as their lives are so stressful, moving as they do from poor quality breeders to the shop at far too young an age, where they are in a far from ideal environment :cry: And sold on often to people who know very little abut what they need or how to handle them. :cry:
And in your little chaps case being passed back again :cry:
With gentle handling and proper space and care and an adequete course of antibiotics he could put this behind him.
you have come to the right place to find out how to do your best by him :D I am sure you will find him to be well worth the effort, rabbits have facinating personalities and have a lot to give their 2foots.

Back