• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Proper cleaning of buns bums

TillysMom

New Kit
How do I clean Harlie & Galen's bottoms properly?

I just cleaned out the hutch and checked them both for any signs of Flystrike but Galen had a bit of brownish stuff on his skin areas (I assume its poo).

Should I pop them in a bowl of warm water to clean them or will a wipe of wet kitchen roll around that area suffice? I just wiped off the gunk and put him back (to sulk).

I had my first rabbit when I was 10 and my mother did this kind of stuff... so i'm a bit new to this!!! :wink:

Also... in the interests of keeping them clean, is it an advantage to clip the hair around their tails and bottoms to avoid too much fur getting tangled?? (Obviously i'm going to take them to a trained professional for that)

Hiya,

If you can get it off with a damp piece of kitchen roll that works better, you can also use baby wipes. Only dunk their bums in water as a last resort. Damp fur is tempting to flies so make sure you dry them well if you have to get them soggy.

Sticky bums (poop around the backend) is often a sign that the diet isn't quite agreeing with them. Try feeding more hay and slightly reducing the dry food.

Tam

Hiya!

My rabbit had a terrible bum all the time because he couldn't clean himself as he had no teeth sadly the poor thing! I tried washing him a few times but it just made it worse as all his fur got matted! I guess if your buns bum isn't too bad then baby wipes will be the best option. With poor Richard we had to take him to the vets who trimmed all his fur off his bottom so that it didn't get too manky, that was an extreme case though!

naturestee said:

I'd read this before but forgotton about it, I may try that for Brian.

Hi Tillysmom I have given Brian a bath today in the bathroom sink (he is not able to clean himself) just his bottom area and I only used warm water, he didn't seem to mind, make sure you dry really well after, use a hairdryer on the coolest setting if bunny will let you. I'd say only bath them if you really need to.

I had to give Bob a bath as he had a very mucky bum- pretty much did as the instructions on the link.

Shallow warm water with a bit of pet shampoo and iodine (vets reccomendation).
Held his upper body whilst I worked the shampoo into a lather with the other hand.
Rinsed shampoo off and trimmed any stubborn bits (be very careful of skin)
I then blow dried him til he was almost dry and put him out in the garden to finish drying as it was a nice day.
Later on I put rearguard on.

As others have said if he doesn't have clumps of stubborn matted hair/poo then it may be best just to use wipes

Bif never has that problem even if shes had a stressed pooey bum..oscar however is a mini lop and therefore much closer to the ground!
Even if i reduce bunny food and ncrease hay he has always had problems with veggie fruit and stress...so i changed him to science selective bun food and loads of hay i found he adores...meadow hay from bunny basics..and now he is finally eating the timothy hay too..helps a lot but we use a little hand held battery clipper really weeny and we do his knickers and around his privates and bum...it helps no end!!
With oscar i fill up a bowl or basin with warm water and kandoo hand wash!! its so mild and rinses so easily..and i use bits of cotton wool..soak the dried poo carefully a few times then wipe..its tedious but he doesnt warrant a bath even a bum bath..tho hes had a few in his time!!
thanks for the other tips..will bokmark those!
Also i dont know bout bay wipes but those little animal wipes for bum cleaning bunnies work wonders on small problems of it but pancake poo bum is a different matter!!

Back