• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Friend for a 12 month old rabbit

kaz

New Kit
Hello!

We have a 12 month old female dwarf lop called Munchkin. We were wondering whether rabbits are happier if they have a friend or not?

We're not sure whether it's too late to introduce another rabbit, or possibly a guinea pig, or whether they'll be friends. She's very friendly, but also very nervous.

Any advice would be great :)

Thanks very much

Kerry

Never too old for a mate!

We've just bonded a year old rabbit and have previously bonded a 2 1/2 year old male. We have an unbonded 2 year old female that I'm thinking of adopting a bunny to bond with her. Just need to think about their hutch/run size and also find a suitable partner (she's timid!).

One thing I'd say though is to have your rabbit spayed first as this will help reduce her sexual and territorial tendancies. And it's well worth trying a rescue place for a mate as some offer bonding sessions and maybe looking for a neutered male. In my view I wouldn't try female/female (even both spayed!).

It's unwise to house a guinea pig & rabbit together as they both eat different foods and can also cause each other harm. An accidental rabbit kick against a small guinea pig is gona hurt!

Good luck.

Hello! 12 months is not too late to get your bunny a friend, no need to worry about that! Many rescues regularly introduce bunnies at 2,3 4,5+ years old without any problems, even if they have been alone all the time before that!

It is generally considered that rabbits are happier with a companion of their own kind - they shouldn't be housed with guinea pigs due to differing dietary needs and also piggies can be injured or even killed by rabbits (even accidentally by friendly ones!), mainly because they have such big back feet and could break a piggie's back if they are startled and run. They also 'speak different languages' so aren't able to effectively communicate with each other.

Some people keep rabbits singly and whilst there are undoubtedly many happy single bunnies, it is usually agreed that they are best kept in pairs if possible. A study I saw in the last year or so found that bonded pairs of rabbits spend over 70% of their time together. The most successful pairing is usually a neutered male with a female. If you feel able to offer a home to another rabbit, I'd suggest you find a rescue near you that does 'bunny dating', this way you can take your bunny along and allow her to 'choose' her own friend - that way you don't have to worry about introducing them or them not getting along.

Hope that helps!

definately try to find her a friend with the help of your local rescue. Where abouts are you as i'm sure people on here can point you in the right direction!

Hi rabbits are very social animals so she would be better with a friend
wot ever you do don't get a guinea pig they have a totally different diet requirements and a bunny can seriously hurt a guinea pig

munchkin is not to old to get a friend and if you go to a rescue some will even do the bonding for you

Definately a good idea to get her a friend. It took me and my partner just over a year to get a girlfriend for our bun Fuzzy. He's almost two. He is a lot more active now he's got a friend and they run round quite happily. It really perked him up as he did seem a bit depressed and lonely before Snowball came along :p

Thanks for the replies! We're from North Cornwall. If anyone knows of any rescue centres, it would be a great help.

Our main concern is that she is a very scared bunny. We went through a stage of her being very very agressive too, but since she was spayed 6 months ago she's been much more friendly. But she is still very scared of people - if we try and approach her she will always hop off in the opposite direction.

The last thing I want to do is make her even more worried and end up fighting another rabbit! I'll definitely not look at getting a guineapig now, and think another rabbit might help... but if anyone's got any ideas on how to help her become less scared, please do let me know!!

Many thanks for all your help :D :D

If she is unsure with people, I'm sure she will take to a rabbit just fine. Sometimes rabbits just need a friend their own size to cuddle up next to :D
But, a friend may make her more reserved- or even unfriendly- with people.

I would say go for it! I think she would be very happy with a friend. And hey, a really friendly partner make her nicer too :D

xxx

Hiya! There's some good advice on this page here:http://www.rabbitresidence.org.uk/bestfriends.html and the one entitled 'the bonding process' on the left, to help you to get your bunny to be more confident.

I've generally found that bonding a nervous bunny with a more confident one really helps them come out of their shell. Apart from simply having another of their own kind, which does tend to help them to relax, they can learn from the other that people are nice!

I personally don't know of any Cornish rescues but there are two listed on http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp , don't know what they're like though. There are a few members here in the SW so maybe they know of others too. Hope you can find your girlie a lovely bunny friend!

Hello and welcome! I'd say that another bunny friend (preferably a neutered male) would be a great idea! Getting her a friend would probably make her feel more secure and if you were to go to a rescue they may well be able to find a rabbit that's good with people and she might learn from him! :)

AMETHYST

Getting Munchkin a friend is a great idea, I'm sure it will make her much happier! And another bunny for you!

Back