• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Losing weight and a weeping eye.

anon101

Banned
Hi Folks,

Blackie arrived on Saturday. His old owner mentioned he had a weepy eye and that it came and went. Apparently he’s been to the Vets and they said they couldn’t do anything for him. He’s got it quite bad at the moment with white blobs forming on the eye itself and it looks a little sore where its getting constantly wet. I’ve been bathing it daily with an Eyebright solution but it doesn’t seem to be helping other then clearing the eye for an hour or so. He’s eating fine so I don’t think it’s his teeth. Blocked tear duct?

Digger my harlequin lop boy is worrying me a bit. He’s always drunk a lot but now he’s getting through a full 600ml bottle a day sometimes more. He’s also lost weight but is still eating/toileting like normal though he’s weeing a lot more due to the excessive drinking. Digger is four years old and is small/medium size. Any ideas?

Both are due to be neutered at the end of the month but I’m booking them in for a check-up before then.

Louise

Our bun had a weeping eye, and a runny nose, and ate like he was a horse, i'd think about getting X/Rays done just to be on the safe side.

Blackie's problem does sound like a blocked tear duct, I boarded a bun with one a while ago and hers did build up with white blobs I had to wash off.
Flushing the tearducts can help but it may take a couple of tries, or it may not work to permanently fix it :?
Digger's could be kidney problems - this can make them drink more and lose weight, could be due to EC, or a few other things really so best to get him to the vet ASAP

Sorry me again, i should read all you've written before replying, as for the drinking bun, this may be a sign of Kidney prob's, may be worth mentioning to you vets.

One last thing regarding the white pus around the eye, this may well be a abscess around the eye area, yet again mention it to your vet.

Um, sounds like a blocked or infected tear duct to me. Have you had a look at the duct itself? Does it look red/sore? In the meantime if you have some Tiacil, treat it with that for 5 days. It could be the tooth roots causing the problem.

With the other bunny, try worming him first and see if it improves. b-m

Weepy Eye probably is Dental related. Impossible to assess tooth roots without a dental x-ray. If there is pus then Bun needs antibiotic eye ointment (usually Fucithalmic or Tiacil) Plus regular bathing of eye and massaging area near duct to remove any build up of gunk.
I would recommend a FULL dental check for this bun. Perhaps when neutering takes place?

Excessive drinking and weightloss is a significant worrying symptom. Might be a Renal problem due to EC or infection. Again this needs Veterinary attention. Perhaps a full blood profile for EC/Renal Function and any other abnormalites (its rare but rabbits can get diabetes)
I would certainly not put this bun under GA until a diagnosis is established.

Janex

Bobby had a weepy eye, and the vet suspected a tear duct problem. I was given some cream (sorry can't remember what it's called) and this cleared it up.
However, Bobby does now have problems with his teeth, so probably related too.

Thanks for all the advice. :)

Got them both booked in tomorrow night at the vets.

Digger has been wormed.

Will let you know how we get on.

Louise

Due to what happened with Stroppy this vet appointment was obviously changed.

Will let you know how we get on.

Louise

Back