• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dwarf Rabbit Care Guide??

maherwoman

Warren Scout
Hey guys!

So, I'm considering keeping little rescued Pokey as a future (when they're both desexed) friend for Maisie, but I need to be able to research first to know if she's going to have the home she needs with us.

Soooo....does anyone know of a site that has information about what dwarf rabbits need that might be different from other breeds?

If any of you have the answers to the following questions, please feel free to answer. :)

My main things I need to know about dwarf breeds:

1. What cage size do they need? Would it be the same size that Maisie currently has (Maisie's current cage is made up of NIC cubes and is 3 wide, 2 deep, 2 high), or could I go smaller, say 2 wide x 2 deep x 2 tall?

2. What is their energy level like? Is it comparable to other breeds, or do they have generally more energy? (Trying to dispel information I've heard about them being a tad insane in their energy level.) Would she need more time out of the cage than Maisie would?

3. Are there any special needs for her because of her breed?

4. Is there anything particularly different about dwarf breeds vs other larger breeds?

5. Can dwarf breeds get along with others well? As in, in the future (after much introducing and bonding, etc.), will her and Maisie be able to share Maisie's cage?

Thank you so much guys. I just want to be sure (before my heart totally and completely won't let me give her to a bunny shelter) that I can provide what sweet Pokey needs. I would love to add her to the family, but I need to be sure we're able to provide her with what she needs. We have plenty of panels left from buying what we needed for Maisie's cage, I just need to know how big the cage needs to be. :)

Thanks!!! :D

Dwarf bunnies aren't really any different to other bunnies, they do apparently have a reputation for being grumpy but I've not found it to be true personally - my Nethie is the most friendly bun I've ever met!
Not sure about the cage size as we don't have NIC cubes, might help if you post the dimensions.
The only thing with dwarf buns (but it happens with most of the lop breeds too) is that they're more prone to teeth problems because of having the smaller, squashed up face. I think there was another health problem they were more prone too as well but can't remember it offhand.
My dwarf lives with 2 other bunnies and loves them both, but it just varies from bunny to bunny!

I think I'm right in saying Maisie spends quite abit of time not in her cage? Really 3'x2' is the minimum and is fine cos Maisie gets plenty of time to run about.

I don't know whether you have space to exercise two rabbits seperately so it might be better to go slightly bigger on the new buns cage?

Dwarf rabbits are basically the same as bigger rabbits just a smaller size. They don't need any special care though keep in mind gaps a bigger rabbit can't squeeze into a dwarf might be. Their temperament depends on the rabbit not the breed so you'll just have to wait and see what Pokey turns out like :)

Rabbits don't care very much about breed and looks when it comes to choosing friends, two dwarfs are just as likely to get on as a big bunny and a little bunny :) Two girls can sometimes cause a problem as girls can be a bit territorial. Neutering helps with this otherwise again it's just don't to the individual rabbits personality :)

Tam

I posted this for you on the other forum, but I figured I'd cross-post it here, too.

I have three dwarf buns.:D

1. I would not go smaller than 3x2x2. I had to keep Fey and Sprite in 2x2 cages when they became unbonded, and they were miserable.

2. Supposedly they can be a little more active. This really depends on the individual. They don't need any more exercise time than normal, although large cages with lots to do are definately appreciated. They can be a little difficult to pick up when they don't want to be. I use more of a scoop method on Mocha and Sprite.

3. Dwarfs are prone to maloclussion and may be prone to molar spurs, both because of their little round heads. If Pokey has genetic maloclussion then your vet should notice it. Make sure he checks. Then just make sure that she eats lots of hay and has chew toys that she actually likes.

4. No, not really.:D

5. Well, this is Mocha (2 lbs, 4 oz) and Loki (5 lbs, 5 oz)

xggpkp.jpg

xggrdl.jpg

xggro9.jpg

Tamsin said:
I think I'm right in saying Maisie spends quite abit of time not in her cage? Really 3'x2' is the minimum and is fine cos Maisie gets plenty of time to run about.

I don't know whether you have space to exercise two rabbits seperately so it might be better to go slightly bigger on the new buns cage?

Dwarf rabbits are basically the same as bigger rabbits just a smaller size. They don't need any special care though keep in mind gaps a bigger rabbit can't squeeze into a dwarf might be. Their temperament depends on the rabbit not the breed so you'll just have to wait and see what Pokey turns out like :)

Rabbits don't care very much about breed and looks when it comes to choosing friends, two dwarfs are just as likely to get on as a big bunny and a little bunny :) Two girls can sometimes cause a problem as girls can be a bit territorial. Neutering helps with this otherwise again it's just don't to the individual rabbits personality :)

Tam

Great! Thank you so much for all the advice. You can read an update on the little bun on another thread I posted (which I hope was ok...I wanted people to be able to see it easily). :)

I'll be making her another cage Maisie's size. Thanks!! :D

naturestee said:
I posted this for you on the other forum, but I figured I'd cross-post it here, too.

I have three dwarf buns.:D

1. I would not go smaller than 3x2x2. I had to keep Fey and Sprite in 2x2 cages when they became unbonded, and they were miserable.

2. Supposedly they can be a little more active. This really depends on the individual. They don't need any more exercise time than normal, although large cages with lots to do are definately appreciated. They can be a little difficult to pick up when they don't want to be. I use more of a scoop method on Mocha and Sprite.

3. Dwarfs are prone to maloclussion and may be prone to molar spurs, both because of their little round heads. If Pokey has genetic maloclussion then your vet should notice it. Make sure he checks. Then just make sure that she eats lots of hay and has chew toys that she actually likes.

4. No, not really.:D

5. Well, this is Mocha (2 lbs, 4 oz) and Loki (5 lbs, 5 oz)

xggpkp.jpg

xggrdl.jpg

xggro9.jpg

Thank you so much for posting it twice. :) Ya never know...lol...

Hey!
Personally Netherland Dwarfs are my favorite breed. Not that have owned many other breeds :roll: :lol: anyways...

1. My 3 nethies share a NIC cage that is 3 long x 3 deep x 2 tall. I kept them all in 2x2x2 cubes before being desexed and they were grouchy on days that they didn't get more than an hour out each (which was difficult w/ 3 seperate cages!)

2. I wouldn't say they have more energy, they are just a little more destructive with what they have. They aren't really bad, but i do need to keep a closer eye on them. They get about an hour out everday and seem to be happy with that much exercise.

3. Both Lops and dwarf breeds are prone to teeth problems becuase of their rounder heads. They also can pass on a fatal gene to offspring but that shouldn't be a problem for you since your rescue is being desexed.

4. No, not really. A bun is a bun!

5. Size doesn't make much of a difference to buns. Personality is what matters to the buns , so a few pounds shouldn't matter.

Hope I helped...and can we get some piccies?

Thanks, guys, for all your information...unfortunately, after all your work posting that info for me, I've discovered my baby is just that...a baby!! Check out my posted update on the little one. :)

Back