• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Kidney trouble and Kale???

bellatrix

New Kit
I read that food such as kale, mustard greens, fresh greens... (with high calcium levels) are not good for buns with kidney troubles. Is this true? One of my buns has kidney troubles and LOVES curly kale but I dont want to feed her it if it may make things worse.

Rabbits can be overloaded with calcium and it can cause problems, i would imagine as well as the usualy stones could be a problem so if your rabbit has kidney problems it would be best not to over work it?. val

Depends what the Kidney problems are caused by.......
Hypercalcaemia?
Damage from EC?
Secondary to a Heart Problem?
Infection?
Damage from external trauma?

Kale/Spring Greens are high in calcium so should be avoided in buns with Hypercalcaemia (sludgey wee/bladder stones).

Janex

As the saying goes, 'everything in moderation.' Unless the rabbit is prone to problem sor you're only feeding kale it's not a problem. As long as their diet is balanced, if you're still worried try feeding those veg less often and try others.

same applies for guinea pigs too. I had one that had sludge so have to watch her diet! Pigs are very prone to sludge/stones too.

I have this information on whats ok/not... might be useful for buns too ??

Vegetables

Safe, Daily:

Carrot, Cabbage, Celery, Apple, Grapes, Melon, Peach, Pineapple, Plums,
Lettuce, Cucumber, Meadow Hay (Wheat / Straw), Pear, Banana, Orange,
Radish, Broccoli, Cauliflower Leaves, Peas, Parsnips, Peppers, Tomatoes,
Cherries, Grass, Corn, Oats, Wheat. Any guinea pig mix without artificial
additives (E numbers – especially E110, Sunset Yellow. This is known to
cause irritation to the gastro-intestinal and urinary tracts and to cause cystitis). Russell Rabbit Carrot and Leek does not contain artificial colourings.

Once / Twice Weekly

Carrot TOPS, Parsley, Dandelions, Corn-On-The-Cob, Kale

Never

Spinach, Chicory, Alfalfa Hay, Basil, Swiss Chard, Watercress, Sweet Clover
Hay, Beetroot TOPS, RAW Potato, Rhubarb, Buttercups, Moss, Bindweed,
Flowers from bulbs, Evergreens, Ragwort or Ferns. Guinea pig mixes with E

I thought spinich was ok? and watercress, basil and chard?? I'm very confused now :( I also feed spring greens most days and kale twice a week :? everytime I'm reading different advice and I just don't know anything anymore :(

sparklefairy said:
I thought spinich was ok? and watercress, basil and chard?? I'm very confused now :( I also feed spring greens most days and kale twice a week :? everytime I'm reading different advice and I just don't know anything anymore :(

As far as BUNNIES are concerned all that you have mentioned are ok in moderation unless the Bun is known to have a 'sludgey bladder' problem.
Lots of variety of fresh veggies is great and ensures a balanced nutrition. Along with lots of Hay of course!!
Infact if my Buns read what Storm and Gypsy get you might just find you have a few visitors!! :shock: :lol: :lol:

Janex

JCO said:
sparklefairy said:

As far as BUNNIES are concerned all that you have mentioned are ok in moderation unless the Bun is known to have a 'sludgey bladder' problem.
Lots of variety of fresh veggies is great and ensures a balanced nutrition. Along with lots of Hay of course!!
Infact if my Buns read what Storm and Gypsy get you might just find you have a few visitors!! :shock: :lol: :lol:

Janex
:lol: :lol: :lol: just a few visitors? :wink: My bunnies get ss pellets, lots of different types of oxbow hay, brocoli twice a week, carrot 2-3 times a week, apple twice a week, spring greens or cabbage most days, sometimes spinich water cress and rocket salad, kale twice to 3 times a week. I don't want to make them poorly when they get older :? sometimes storm has " mikly wee," am I making him sick? :shock:

Sorry if caused a fright! :oops: should have added the info I was given was applicable if pigs HAD had stones/sludge and it was a preventative diet for afterwards to help try prevent any further occurances.

:D

Each of my bunnies get the following per day:

Unlimited hay
Half a bowl of Supa Excel pellets
Half a carrot

Small palmful of curly kale (if I have it, I only get it when it's on offer!!)
OR
1 floret of broccoli

Maybe a couple of times a week they'll have dandelion too.

The way I see it, the kale is only a small proportion of the total amount they eat. I keep a close eye on their wee and if I were to notice any changes I'd ease off the veg. I'm sure anything that's permitted for bunnies is fine in reasonable quantities.

AMETHYST

sparklefairy said:
JCO said:
sparklefairy said:

Janex
:lol: :lol: :lol: just a few visitors? :wink: My bunnies get ss pellets, lots of different types of oxbow hay, brocoli twice a week, carrot 2-3 times a week, apple twice a week, spring greens or cabbage most days, sometimes spinich water cress and rocket salad, kale twice to 3 times a week. I don't want to make them poorly when they get older :? sometimes storm has " mikly wee," am I making him sick? :shock:

If he has milky wee at times then I'd cut back on the Brocolli and Kale.
Alfalfa hay is high in calcium so if any of the Oxbow hays contain it I'd cut back on that too.
Bunnies excrete calcium in their wee in proportion to the amount of calcium in their diet. Milky wee is a sign that calcium is being excreted in high quantities but it does NOT mean Storm is ill :D
As long as you cut back on his calcium intake a bit and make sure he drinks lots (no Vodka and Red Bull though Storm :no: :wink: :lol: )
His wee should become less milky in appearance.
Its a bit gross but if you notice very thick milky wee run a finger through it. If it feels 'gritty' thats a sign that he needs to have all high calcium foods cut out. But the occassional 'milky wee' just needs a moderation in calcium intake.

Hope that ramble makes sense!!
Janex

Oooooh nooooo! my buns get loads of veggies :shock: about 2 big spring greens leaves and a small carrot of half an apple each or a big handfull of kale each instead of the greens. when giving brocolli they get 3 small florets each :?

JCO said:
sparklefairy said:
JCO said:
sparklefairy said:

Janex

If he has milky wee at times then I'd cut back on the Brocolli and Kale.
Alfalfa hay is high in calcium so if any of the Oxbow hays contain it I'd cut back on that too.
Bunnies excrete calcium in their wee in proportion to the amount of calcium in their diet. Milky wee is a sign that calcium is being excreted in high quantities but it does NOT mean Storm is ill :D
As long as you cut back on his calcium intake a bit and make sure he drinks lots (no Vodka and Red Bull though Storm :no: :wink: :lol: )
His wee should become less milky in appearance.
Its a bit gross but if you notice very thick milky wee run a finger through it. If it feels 'gritty' thats a sign that he needs to have all high calcium foods cut out. But the occassional 'milky wee' just needs a moderation in calcium intake.

Hope that ramble makes sense!!
Janex

Thanks jane, that makes loads of sense, I think I may be over doing it :oops: I didn't realize that spring greens were high in calcium, but knew about the brocoli and questioned the kale. They don't have alfalfa as I know that adult buns shouldn't have too much of this.
I only noticed the milky wee after Storm " watered my bed," for me! :shock: it looked quite white with a hint of yellow :shock: :mrgreen: Storm on vodka and red bull doesn't bare thinking about! :shock: :lol: actually, that explains his crazy behaviour lately! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A website that gives some information about the calcium content of veg is:

[url]http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-5/calcium.html [/url]

There is another reference somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment, that
syas that the majority of plants are actually water. The amount of calcium quoted in plants is often the amount of calcium in the dry weight (ie the amount of calcium after all the water has been evaporated), therefore in a wet plant there is not that much calcium present. Therefore unless your rabbit is having problems with sludge or kidney problems it is ok to eat most of the foods listed as high in calcium (Provided they are being fed a balanced diet and not too much of any one plant a night)

The highest calcium intake a rabbit is likely to get is from its pellets anyway...

Sorry for the essay

Claire

Back