• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Garden Access

Dan_K

Warren Scout
Now that summer finally seems to be approaching I was wondering what those with house bunnies do about garden access.

At this point in time my garden is not secure, but am planning lots of work to build a brick wall all around to they can't escape, but I was wondering how much access to allow.

Would it be unadvisable to build in a catflap in the back door to allow them access 24/7 or just blocked off overnight. If I should only let them out while I'm at home I could just open the door. Do I need to literally watch them constantly while the door's open or should they be pretty safe?

One of the things I'm thinking is that over the summer I tend to have barbecues, and I'll feel bad shutting the buns in the cage while I have friends over and would prefer them to be able to run free. Am also thinking that one day I'd like to get a dog, which would need to have garden access during the day to do it's business etc.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar experience. The buns safety comes first so I'm more than prepared to cage them when necessary, would just feel bad for them as the cage has been open constantly since I got Bob, and when he gets his girlfriend in a few weeks I don't plan to change that.

all animals should be locked up safely, or supervised at least every 10mins I think - Maa's out on the patio now but she can't get up the garden as I've moved the fence - if she was wandering up the garden I'd have checked on her by now, but as she's just outside the back door I haven't.

Barbeques, loud crowds and bunnies do not mix!

Dogs free ranging and pooping all over the garden, and free range bunnies do not mix!

Although the dog would probably be delighted! :lol:

In the 9 years I've been living in this road, I've never seen a fox, but there was evidence of one visiting about 3 years ago, and there was also one last night. It only takes seconds for a fox to jump into your garden and kill a rabbit, even in daytime, and even if you've never seen one before, so I would only let them loose in the garden when you are around to supervise them, there is absolutely no way I would allow them 24/7 access.

PS Got a female bunny in mind yet??

well I was thinking 24/7 access was a bit too much and would go for supervised access when I'm at home. I don't remember having seen a fox around by my house in the 18 months I've been here but I do see them around not too far away every now and again.

I take it then it's not a good idea to let a dog's main area be the kitchen the same as the bunnies? I was under the impression they could get along, but a puppy is only a distant thought no immediate plans.

I have seen a bunnygirl yes, went to Rabbit Residence last weekend and I've reserved a gorgeous baby one-eared girl called Precious. She's still just a baby though so Caroline's gonna look after her for the next few weeks and get her speyed and vaccinated and then she's gonna bond her with Bob. Gives me enough time to get a new dog crate for them both, which I will lcok for when I have barbies

Also be careful about what house bunny is eating. All my buns are garden buns so know what they are not allowed as I have shown them (running down the garden yelling when they're eating my bloody strawberries!) but house bunny won't know. Also be aware of cats coming in the garden. Also, see how much grass they eat (if you have any) as they may end up with diarhea(sp?) and that's not good for your house!
My buns get a run around the garden in the morning and are in runs with lids during the day. Maybe you could get a secure run for when you're out?

If you want to make your garden secure a wall isn't the best way to go. Yes it will keep the rabbits in, but it will provide a secure platform for the foxes to jump over :( Wire that is slightly wobbly will do a better job of keeping both foxes and cats out. There are systems of cat-proof fencing available that I believe would do a good job against foxes too.

Strawberry and his girly friend have free access to my garden all day whether I am in or out. I wouldn't dream of locking them up every time I leave, nor do I have the time to check on them every 10 minutes. But I wouldn't leave them out at night.

Whether rabbits and dogs will mix is down to the individual dog. Many will be fine as long as you are there to shout at them if they get too excited with the rabbits, but it is far rarer to have a dog that is totally trust worthy with rabbits- there is too much instictual behaviour likely to happen. I think it would take a considerable amount of time spent with the dog and rabbits together before you would know whether or not it was safe.

Having free access to a secure garden is a wonderful way for rabbits to live. You can not eliminate every conceivable risk but you do need to do everything you possibly can in order to safeguard the rabbits, and assess whether the risks have been sufficiently reduced before going ahead.

That's a good point about the foxes and cats getting in. I have a corner plot and so the reason for the wall would be to make my place feel more secure, as the fencing I have at the moment is shoody at best. Can a fox climb a 6ft wall?

It;s just I feel bad for the bun(s) that they won't get much outside access over the summer. I want them to live as free as possible but of course providing that they're safe. I guess the best way that I can do that is to let them out into the garden when I get home from work and sit out there with them.

yes it's a great way to unwind, drink in hand :) My rabbits sleep all day anyway - it's only really till 10am that they are lively, and again after about 3pm - they are diurnal apparently - Even when I let the girls out for hours at a time, they sit and sleep on the patio during the middle of the day.

as I speak mines collapsed under my bed from running round the garden like she has ants in her pants...
I only let her out in the garden if I am in... and although my gardens pretty secure, I am generally always out with her just in case.
I would never leave them out at night though.

My rabs are only allowed in the garden when I am out there with them. I usually just sit and watch them (it's very theraputic and helps me unwind from work) but sometimes I tinker about doing pot plants and other garden stuff. Or sometimes I'm just out there with a book or magazine and a cup of tea.

Since getting my rabbits (June 05 I think it was) I have had so much more natural light and fresh air instead of being locked away in the house.

Where my rabs play is secured off by run panels as they could escape from my garden if they were free range but they do have the whole lawn and a row of conifers to run and play behind (which Lavender takes particular advantage of when it comes to going in time, getting her out from behind the conifers is a task and a half!).

Rabswood

Back