• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abandoned baby rabbit

Monty'sMarch

Young Bun
I got a call from the Humane Society (I am very involved) and they asked if I could take a rabbit that another member found. I was the only person they knew with any experience.

Reluctantly I said yes. They said it was a baby... but I had no idea!

She is big enough to hop around and seems fully developed, just really small. She weighs 9 ounces. Appears in good health...

No idea of breed-- ears seem to big (proportionally) to be a full dwarf.

Any help would be great.

I will have a pic by tonight. I'm taking it to my friends house (shes pre-vet and has raised many rabbits) to get some advice. I will let everyone know how it goes!

I took some pics, but my friend won't have time to get them to me till tomorrow.

We syringe fed her and she ate it all up. So its just a waiting game. And lots of night time feedings!

We have poop! Yay! lol Shes making it through the night beautifully, even through in a good kick to my belly for not feeding her just right ;) Can't wait to show you all the pics, you won't believe your eyes! Ok, maybe you will, but shes so cute!

PICTURES!!!

100_1810_0001.jpg

100_1816_0001.jpg

Heres the little girl! We are eating our carrots and soaked pellets quite well from the syringe. She was poaking around her pellets, but still not very interested.

Shes so little I can fit her in one hand, about half the size of these pics!. Shes a pistole though, let me tell ya!

Awwwwww bless her :D :D
I'd try to get some fibre/probiotics into her. I think you should be able to obtain 'Critical Care' feed in the US as its made by Oxbow, a US company.
Critical Care Feed can be given via syringe and contains essential fibre and probiotics. The wee baby Buns tum needs 'intensive care'!!
Please do keep us updated.

Janex

If I let you know my locale that would make it so much easier... don't you want a challenge? lol

Little Python has gained 1.1 ounces in the three days I've had her! We had out first interaction with Monty today, it was adorble. They ran around for awhile before Python got worn out.

I'm sure Python will catch up soon!

New pics and new addition

Foster bunny has found a home... with me! Go figure huh?

I am going to find my other bunny March a home instead. He and Monty are not getting along at all and Monty and Python are very bonded (should of known with the names)

So if anyone is near Lexington KY and is looking for a wonderful Netherland dwark, PM me!

Here are the new pictures of little Python! (shes gained 3 ounces since I got her last week! Eating and drinking on her own now too)

Eating away!

PythonEating.jpg

Monty and Python! Run Away! Run Away!

MontyPython.jpg

Just a cute one.

AdorablePython.jpg

Back