• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits alone in the house

Hiya,
I was wondering since my bun has become more friendly i was wondering wether i could leave him in the house when i'm out.
He comes in when i am at home and just lies on the dog bed.
In the room there is nothing he would be dangerous to chew or get stuck behind anything.
The dog compleatly ignores him - i trust he totally, we have had her for 8 years, and she saved my hamster (by licking him until he woke up from a stroke, of which the vet said he probilly wasnt goin to survive!). She is mothering and gentle and doesnt have a bad bone in her body!
And he never really ventures off, just sits there and goes to sleep.

What do yo guys do, do you leave them in the house or put them away?

Do you think it is a good idea?

I have two house bunnies. One is new so not free-range yet, but Humpty is left out all day, but confined to one, safe room. I am around a lot of the time as I am at home with the children, but he is fine if I go out as the room is bunny-proofed and safe.

well OK apart from the dog - you might find she behaves differently when you (the pack leader!) are not there?

my two house bunnies are never cages and fine to leave by them selves :D the only problem you might have is house training, does he have a litter tray? if he uses a litter tray there should be no unwanted presents everywhere :D
As long as there are no wires, poisonous plants or things that could fall on him or otherwise cause a danger I would try it! :D

well... im going to a wedding tomorrow and i wont be back till late, is this the right time to leave him or should i wait untill im just popping to the shops?

he doesnt have a litter tray but he usually goes in 1 corner so i just put some newspaper there!
If i can i'll get one on sunday.

ps. the dog isnt a problem, we totally trust her!

thanks again!

xx

oh and i was also wondering about the cat, he is out most of the day.

But i dont want to let him in with the rabbit, as i don't know if he will go for him (he doesnt hunt, well asfar as we know!lol) but as they are both male (neauterd)the cat could get angry and go for his neck, would this kill him?
:?

the bun is abouth the same size as the cat (lol) but does this matter, as when the dog goes up to him (not doing any halm) he sits there stiff and i don't know wether with the cat he would defend his self?!?!

some cats are scared of rabbits, as 2 of my Mum's cats run away from hers. If you are unsure it's best not to risk it. If your rabbit is frightened of the cat and panics it will stress him out too much. When a rabbit gets stressed it could make them ill. Also I would be worried about the cat lashing out with it's claws. A scratch in the wrong place ( such as the eye) could be very nasty. It could lead to an abcess or infection. If the cat did chase your bunny and bite him it could do a lot of damage too. It is possible for a rabbit to die of shock if he feels thretened. If you can keep them apart I would do.

I leave Smudge in the kitchen when I am out. I put his cage in there too (for what reason I am not too sure) :lol: . I just think he might want to go in his house from time to time I suppose. That's why whenever I come down or home he is laying on his mats!!! :lol:

My cats do tend to run away from him, but I still wouldn't trust them on their own with him to be honest and I deffo wouldn't trust a dog!

Back