• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When do you cover your hutches?

Sue&Sooty

Wise Old Thumper
Although I've had my buns since last Oct they have always lived inside due to them all being so young, so having them outside now is all proving a bit daunting :shock:

They were out for the first overnighter last night and were ok so they will be staying out now.

What I wondered was when is it best to cover them up? When it gets dark or when it starts to get a bit cold??

I hate the thought of them being in the dark for 9/10hrs but on the other hand I would hate for them to get cold :? They haven't got massivley thick coats but then again there is 4 of them to snuggle up together.

I'm just worried that I'm going to get it wrong and them end up unhappy or worse, ill! :?

what do you think?

Have you got a snugglesafe? If not, it might be worth investing in one, even if just for your own peace of mind :lol:

AlisonA said:
Have you got a snugglesafe? If not, it might be worth investing in one, even if just for your own peace of mind :lol:

:oops: :oops: ok so I'm turning into a neurotic bunny mummy aren't I!! :lol: :lol:

"signs on to ebay to get snugglesafe" :shock: :lol:

I cover mine up when it gets dark, i`ve stopped using carpets or blankets now as it`s quite warm but i use just clear plastic sheeting, i think it`s perfect as as soon as the sun comes up they`ve got light and also if it`s really heavy rain in the day i pull it down to stop the water going in the hutch but they`ve still got light. :D

Su.x

Mine have a clear shower curtain that i can put over in the day when it's raining, that lets light in. I've also put a double thickness dust sheet just over the top half (its a double decker hutch) and then bubble wrap over the top of that, so they can get light in through the bottom bit in the mornings

:roll: :roll: Blimey who'd have thought that 4 little balls of fluff could cause so much worry!! :? :lol:

I cover mine when I give them supper, about 9pm (well that's 10pm to the rest of the world - I still haven't put my clocks forward :roll: ) They've got the fly repellants out at the mo but I think it's a bit cold for mozzies tonight - it's getting a bit colder now than last week.

You really don't need a snuggle safe in this weather :)

If it's below about 5-6 degrees when I feed them at about 12am then I give them a snuggle safe... to be honest they pretty much ignore it though and I only do it cos Alfie is five now. I've hardly covered their hutch this winter though, it's been so mild and then only use it for a mid afternoon nap, they play in the run all night.

If I was you, I'd put them out first thing in the morning, and then check the temperature at about 10pm... if it's going to be a cold night (under 5 degrees) bring them in, otherwise leave them out and cover the hutch. Do that for two weeks and then the weather should be warmer and you'll be leaving them out every night anyway.

Cover the top part so they have a warm area to snuggle but I can pretty much garentee they'll hang out in the bit they can see out of :)

Tam

well it's supposedly under 5 degrees C all week this week - going down to 3 one night - if they can forcast it right? :?

Lucy has a blanket and tarpaulin covers that I put down when it gets dark, in summer I just put the tarpaulin down at night.

I put the taupauline over when i go to bed which sometimes isn't till 2am!!!

if its winter i cover them with taupauline and blanket, now just taupauline!

they have alot of hay so would never be cold!

I cover mine up when it has got dark, and then uncover in the morning at 6.30 when i feed them

Me being a neurotic bunny mummy, I keep my little girl inside in the winter out in the summer ....
My mum says she has to start going back outside soon! :cry:
But I normally cover her cage with a thin towel and a plastic sheet... just before I go to bed...
Its not see through, but I prefer that - because just incase of foxes.
They wouldnt be able to get her, where he hutch is ... but I dont want her to see them and for them to scare her half to death.

I have almost stopped using the covers except for the animals that spent the winter in the house. Those I put down as it gets dark.

Back