• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

stroppy bunny

touie

Wise Old Thumper
I moved fudge outside 2 days ago into a 5' x 2' hutch with attached run. Since he's been out there he has been really aggressive. I can't stroke him or put food in his hutch without being charged at. I have to throw it in quickly and get out the way, I feel mean doing this and want to spend some time with him but this morning I was a bit slow and he bit my elbow :( I don't know what to do about him, he's never been this bad!

One of my bunnies was the same when i moved him from a hutch to a hut.He bit a chunk out of my knuckle :shock: He is getting a little better and will let me stroke him,but he still charges when i go in with his food.

Hmm, Thats a tough one isnt it. If you have the room in your garden i'd be tempted to move the hutch and run around sometimes, so he wont be so terretorial over that certain bit, erm, other than that, no idea, Sorry :( xx

he does seem like a very territorial bunny doesn't he? Major problems with sharing - I wouldn't have a clue what to do with him except show him the greatest respect (fear!) :?

elve said:
he does seem like a very territorial bunny doesn't he? Major problems with sharing - I wouldn't have a clue what to do with him except show him the greatest respect (fear!) :?

Theo my male dutch is the same, hes excellent with me, but men hes so territorial, he growls and headbuts, he hasnt yet bitten, ive found that everytime he does it dont treat him, if he doesnt then give him a treat, this really helps! :-0

Hiya, I have my fosters that are like that and also Pippin, i'm afraid it is hard work and you have to expect and accept getting biten. Be confident and don't throw stuff in. All of my biters have stopped being so agressive towards me and Thistle and Ozzy will have a rub from time to time. Pipin always bites my bingo wings ouch :lol: . It's a long hard slog I'm afraid, but you need to build up trust with your bun again. Once the stop seeing you as a threat they'll tolerate you. Start with sitting with him and talking to him for about 30 minutes a day, don't make any sudden movements and keep your voice gentle. After four to eight weeks start leaving your hand in the hutch for 5 or 10 minutes untill they get use to you. It's a really long process, but I know it hurts let them bite you and don't let them think they bother you.

I just ignore Chocolate when she does it. She moves away from my hand now, but doesn't bite anymore. & yesterday I picked her up without getting scratched to death, :D

Back