• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My new bun wiv pasterella

I have just taken 2 buns from pah...... one with pasterella and the other one just her room mate. Ive been told that because they have been together they will both have pasterella now and that they shouldnt go near any other buns. Is there anyway to get rid of it in the early stages and do you think that the other bun does have it. And do you think that they will ever be able to go near my other buns??

Just curious really
thanks

Hi.
So did you actually BUY this sick bun?
Or do you work for the store and so have taken him/her to avoid bun being PTS?
Whatever, bun needs VETERINARY ATTENTION.
Has Pasteurella been confirmed by a Vet or just by a (dubious) 'diagnosis' by the Petstore staff?
Pasteurella cannot be cured but the symtoms can be controlled with antibiotics when bun is symptomatic...ie 'snuffly'.
Pasteurella is INFECTIONS when bun is symptomatic
It is CONTAGEOUS when bun is asymptomatic
So it is likely that any bun the baby has had contact with will be infected. Although they may not show symptoms until times of 'stress' or when they have a concurrent illness.
Pasteurella can also cause other serious,potentially fatal conditions so prompt VETERINARY TREATMENT is ALWAYS necessary.
If you actually bought this poorly bun then I suggest you REPORT THE STORE to the RSPCA and the Environmental Health Department of the local council.
Get a WRITTEN REPORT from the Vet you consult and copy it to the Manager of the store, the RSPCA and the Environmental Health Department.
My opinion of said store is unprintable........ :evil:
Janex

How awful! It's great to know that they check the animals are healthy before selling them! So anyone who already has a bun and bought one from there now has it on their rabbits. I bought a Gp from there, got her home and found she had a cateract! I didn't take her back though as I know they would have her pts (though I doubt they would have done it nicely)

Well i thought it had pasterella to start with but was already in with another bun. So i took it tho our vet who sed yes it did have pasterella but it would be fine to stay with the other rabbit as long as the other rabbit wasnt ill. (he did not say that this rabbit would catch it) just told me to keep it away from g.pigs. Gave me some baytril and sent me off. Later on in the week the bun seemed to be getting better not sneezing and no runny nose. So someone put it on shop floor with the bunny it was already with. a couple of days later a manager from another store came round while we were discussing it. He asked why it was on shop floor nad that the bun and her friend should be PTS. I told him that was out of order as they were fine and they could live like that as long as they werent suffering. He told me he was taking it back to the vet... this time the vet told him it will need treatment and that other rabbits will catch it. I was so angry that he didnt tell me when i told him that the rabbit was with another one. Basically the boss sed that I either had to buy both these rabbits for £25 or he would have the PTS. I told him that he would loose more by having them PTS and to just let me have them but he wouldnt so I had to buy them which I was really angry about but what else could i do. Their at my house now and fine I tried to book them a vets appointment but there is none until thursday now. is there anything I can do in the meantime. She seems fine just sneezing quite often

SORRY BOUT LONG POSR

It is so disgusting that he made you buy them :x :x :x
And threatening to put the healthy one to sleep too :x :x :x

Pasturella is pretty much endemic in the rabbit population (according to my vet and many others) and usually only manifests itself in a weakened or stressed individual with a compromised immune system. Rabbits at P@H are under a good deal of stress - no wonder so many of them display the symptoms :cry:

It is possible to get it under control if it hasn't lodged in the lungs or deep in the sinuses or tear ducts and the rabbit may be able to live a good life only showing symptoms when something triggers it off again. The other one may never show any symptoms. The partners of my snuffle bunnies have never become ill. But they have loads of space and good food, the way a rabbit lives will impact the rabbit's immune system.

It is probably still best to keep them away from your other rabbits - it is best not to risk that any of your others who may have a lowered immunity be challenged by further exposure. I keep my snuffle bunnies in the house or shed away from the rest.

It is important to treat it with an antibiotic now even if it doesn't seem too bad or it will get deeper into the rabbits system where treatment can no longer reach it.

ok thanks for your advice so should i treat them both with baytril or just the one? is baytril the best for pasterella or is there something else i can get. What about injections are they better?

also i am going to have them in my bedroom and want to buy a dog crate how big do u think i should buy for 2 buns? They will be out all day and will only go away at night?

Only treat the one with symptoms.

A 48" dog crate is best. The top of it will make a useful surface too :D

First thing is to make sure that all wires are out of their way. Books are likely to get chewed so move them off lower shelves. And you'll have to be tidy or your clothes will get nibbled. I have to put my quilt on top of the book shelf during the day while the rabbits are out or it would get eaten :roll:

Back