• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice on a hernia

blue

New Kit
Hi all i dont know if you remember me but i was on a few months ago asking for help in rehoming my moms friends rabbit, as it happen she had second thoughts but i have managed to help her see that it is best if they are rehomed so they are now living in my garden with my 2 other buns, the problem i now have is that when i collected them yesterday i gave them a good look over and found that the one little girl has what i think is a hernia is it quite large about the size of a big grape it doesnt seem to bother her and is not dragging on the floor or any thing but i know its not a good thing, i have spoken with the vets today and they said they will do it when they spay her. But i am now very worried about what if it goes wrong and something happens i know buns can have problems under anastetic and i know having a hernia will make the op harder and longer for her and also is it best to have them both done together or one at a time. i do hope you are able to give me some advice on this as i m very worried for her.
thanks

The only Bunny hernia I have seen is one which happened after a spay. Once your Vet has established that your buns lump is a hernia it is better that it is dealt with when she is spayed. Otherwise it just means another GA.
Hope all goes well.
Janex

Back