• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

whats the fluid

kim 106

Mama Doe
in take for a 1.2 kilo bun midnights still not drinking i now need to feed him but how mutch each hour please asap

I'm not sure sorry :oops: I know with the critical care it was about 50ml per kilo per day but i don't know about fluids

ok tah hes just not drinking or eating need to get something into him so i may go with 2 mil untill some one can help

Hi,

I just nursed Malcolm through stasis. This is what worked for me.

2 mls of infant calpol suspension
2 mls of infacol
10 mls of water

Repeat after an hour.

I also gave 10 mls of science recovery.

Hope that helps.

Damien

ok so around 3mil an hour thenthis is what i have just given him so i hope bye morning he will be eating and drinking on his own

Kim,

If you can I would stay up with him as you may need to give pain relief / infacol each hour until he begins eating / drinking.

Has he eaten / pooped within the past 12 hours?

Damien

If he's had a GA today he should have had plenty painkillers before they released him, so don't give him any calpol as his liver will be stressed enough already from the anaesthetic.

Have you tried holding the water bottle spout to his mouth? I would imagine he's still groggy from the anaesthetic anyway - usually it wears off at about 2am, so don't panic as he should start taking stuff himself then - no sleep for you though :(

nope hes not eaten or drunk as yet so i have given him some warter he only drinks out of a bowl s this is righ under his nose as is the food so if he feals pecish he should be able to just eat or drink as he wants

My last rabbit was a giant. And from his sickness, the vet recommend inject 150 cc of NaCL under the skin. The truth is, even 100 cc is enough. that's 100 cc per 24 hr. My giant was 15 - 16 lb.

Work out proportionally how much your one need. Whenever in doubt, give more, not less.

Remember, the water can goes into her lung and it can cause a bacteria infection. So slowly insert the water into her mouth, a small bit at a time, so it won't get into her lung.

Damo122 said:
Hi,

I just nursed Malcolm through stasis. This is what worked for me.

2 mls of infant calpol suspension
2 mls of infacol
10 mls of water

Repeat after an hour.

I also gave 10 mls of science recovery.

Hope that helps.

Damien

I personally would not give Calpol to an anorexic Bun as it contains PARACETAMOL. Too risky re their liver which is already at risk of Hepatic Lipidosis (fatty deposits being layed down in the liver) cos the bun is not eating. Just my UNQUALIFIED opinion though!!
Janex

dont worry jane i got the jab from the vets and used that now all i want is to get my boy to poo any time now would be good :lol:

You know I am thinking big time of you and midnight... although people are right probably mean no sleep for a while, but then who can sleep when you worry about your bun...
I am still putting fluids into mine, but making the pineapple juice less and less strong now.
Hope your able to get him to eat or drink something so he can poop :).... Good luck :)

Hi Jane,

I posted in a sleepy haze and didn't fully grasp the history. I thought that it related to a spontaneous stasis situation.

Sorry :)

Hope everything resolved itself Kim

Damien

Back