• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Couple of queries..

SammieHernandez

Warren Scout
Hi guys :)

I just had a couple of questions.

1. I've seen that some of you have given your bunnies stuffed toys to play with, is there anything that I should avoid? Any suggestions for what type to get for my two babies? Maybe is it better to get new born baby's toys so that there's less fur and fuzz being pulled off and choked on? And anyone found a particular type/breed of toy (i.e. dog, cat, bunny, hippo lol etc.) that they seem to favour?

2. I'm currently trying to litter train my bunnies. It's only been a day but I just wanted to ask whether it's usual for them to use it almost like a second house, lying in the litter box and sitting in it to chill out?

That's all for now :) But no doubt I'll find some more questions to ask as I go.

Hello. As long as ur buns arent master destructors then pretty much any toy should be okay, but i'd avoid ones with little eyes and noses that are like buttons, and get ones that are stitched in. As for the little tray question, Yes!! Mine dont go to the toilet in it at all, they use it as a bed :roll: :lol: ! xx

:lol: ok then, thanks!

I might test them with one of the cuddly toys I have currently and if it seems like it's getting a bit of a beating I'll pop down to the store and get a baby toy :)

Couple of other questions. I know you can give bunnies toilet rolls and stuff to play with, what about pringles tubes? (probably have to clean it out first tho)

..I did have another question but now I've forgotten it...it'll come back to me I'm sure. :?

Aha! I remember now..

My bunnies are currently being fed a pellet mixture called Nutriphase (those lil brown stick type pellets and some orange shapes). Both bunnies seem to only really like the orange pieces and dig messily through the brown pellets to get to them :shock: They will eat the pellet's but only if they have to y'know? Anyone know why they do this? They also have timothy hay to munch on.

Should I try changing the food that i use? Can anyone suggest a good brand in the USA? When I lived in the UK I used to feed my rabbits that colourful russel rabbit pressed stuff from pet smart. I'll admit, I haven't looked much around for any other brand just yet, figured I'd get some advice first :)

SammieHernandez said:
:lol: ok then, thanks!

I might test them with one of the cuddly toys I have currently and if it seems like it's getting a bit of a beating I'll pop down to the store and get a baby toy :)

Couple of other questions. I know you can give bunnies toilet rolls and stuff to play with, what about pringles tubes? (probably have to clean it out first tho)

..I did have another question but now I've forgotten it...it'll come back to me I'm sure. :?

Pringle tubes should be fine. fill it with treats and put the lid on? xx

As your in the US you may have wire bottomed cages? This will be why they are living in their litter trays maybe, although mine do spend a lot of time in theirs anyway, since it's the only place they can eat hay :)

I'm not using a wire bottom cage, I don't think they're very bunny friendly. I'd much rather my babies be happy and healthy and I just have to use a lil bit of effort to clean then out rather than they be uncomfy and I have an easy clean up.

I put some yoghurt treats in a kitchen roll for them to try and get out but they've lost interest in it for now lol...either that or I missed them stealing the treat out :roll: :wink:

I'll clean the pringle tube out and see how it goes down :)

Something my hubby was wondering about was the use of the water bottles..How good are they for providing water for the buns? Because it seems to take quiet a bit of time and effort for our bunny's thirst to be quenched.

I only use a bottle if there's no room for a bowl, as in Maa's hutch, or if they won't use a bowl, as in Tia's hutch - The others have water in a bowl - The other good thing about bottles though is they stop females with a big dewlap (kind of double chin) from getting it wet, which can cause dermatitis.

Ok gerrard sleeps in his tray and nothing else, He loves it though he puts his scent all over it , plays in it digs in it, chills out
I've tried the scent of his pee I've tried putting all his trail of plops in there but oh my its just not working :lol:
I think I might change the brand next...I really shouldnt have experiemented with a huge bag bigger than me!
:lol:

I've tried moving the litter box to the opposite corner..They're both doing pretty good, there's been a "nice" build up of poop and whatnot in the litter tray but they seem to prefer the other corner lol. Either way, they both like laying in it :lol: :roll: Dirty bun buns :p

Hiya :D

Have you got a bag of nutriphase? If so, can you post the nutrition information here, in particular the fibre and protein contents?

I use both bowls and bottles so the rabbits have the choice, they mostly like jumping in the water bowls from on top of their hutches though :lol:

AlisonA said:
Hiya :D

Have you got a bag of nutriphase? If so, can you post the nutrition information here, in particular the fibre and protein contents?

I use both bowls and bottles so the rabbits have the choice, they mostly like jumping in the water bowls from on top of their hutches though :lol:
LMAO You could put them in for the olympics
I've tried moving the litter box to the opposite corner..They're both doing pretty good, there's been a "nice" build up of poop and whatnot in the litter tray but they seem to prefer the other corner lol. Either way, they both like laying in it Laughing Rolling Eyes Dirty bun buns
yeah he likes peeing behind the door, I can't put it there the litter would be everywhere,
My newest tactic is using two, I mean I guess I can't complain I've not had him long, he is a little ****** though :lol:

Sure I can post the info :)

*grabs the bag*

Okay, here's the "Guaranteed Analysis". If you want the ingredients or anything like that too just let me know :)

Crude Protein (min.) 17.0%
Crude Fat (min.) 3.0%
Crude Fiber (min.) 12.0%
Crude Fiber (max.) 17.0%
Moisture (max.) 12.0%
Calcium (min.) 0.5%
Calcium (max.) 1.0%
Phosphorus (min.) 0.4%
Salt (min.) 0.25%
Salt (max.) 0.75%
Vitamin A (min.) 2500 IU/lb

Mmmm I would definitely swap! Hopefully someone else from the US can suggest something. Bunny food should have higher fibre than protein,a maximum 14% protein and as high in fibre as you can get - some uk brands are up to around 28% fibre! It doesn't matter so much if the fibre is 18% or 28% as long as the bunny eats loads of hay - if bunny is a bad hay eater, the higher fibre is better, but they still need encouraging to eat hay as it helps to grind their teeth down.

I would suggest trying to get hold of some pellet foods with nothing different for the bunny to pick out (you can give variety in the rabbit's diet through vegetables etc), as they tend to pick out the "tasty" bits which are bad for them, and leave all the high fibre parts!

Mine loves her soft toys... she hass a froggy which is her best friend, I made the vet put it in her cage after she came round from being spayed yesterday lol!
And she has spent the whole night sleeping in her litter tray :)

Both bunnies are actually eating a lot more of the mixture that I'm giving them which I'm happy about. They do get a lot of hay and love it so I'm not too worried about the fibre intake :) I'll keep shopping around for something good that will keep them healthy too. I'm a little reluctant to give them too many veggies and whatnot yet as they're not much over the 9 week mark I should imagine.

Back