• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worms

Debs22

New Kit
Hello,

I have been searching the internet for information on intestinal worms in bunnies. I have a 9 month old dutch bunny boy called Pip. I had him neutered over a month ago and things have been going wonderfully. This week I got him a companion from a rabbit rescue centre, a young lady around the same age. I've had her a couple of days now and I noticed yesterday that she has unfortunately got worms (Quite surprised the rescue centre hadn't noticed as they've had her since January). They are little white round worms about 2cm long. I was wondering if anyone had any useful advice. I will of course be taking her straight to the vets on Monday morning (they are shut at the weekend, how useful) and will give them both whatever dewormer is recommended by the vet.

I have searched through my rabbit bible and have found no reference anywhere of rabbits getting worms. I have also scoured the internet and not found much useful information there either. I am quite concerned because for the last couple of days while I have been introducing them, they have been running around in the kitchen (the most bun proof area and easiest to clean) and of course marking it with droppings. I will have to disinfect the area now, but does anyone know of an effective disinfectant to kill worms and their eggs? Does anyone know what type of worms they are? Just generally any helpful advice would be great as I don't really want an infestation of worms in my bunnies or even in myself which may be quite probable

thanks in anticipation
Debs :?

Where are these `worms`? Is she passing them in her poops or are they living near her bottom area? I only ask as it`s quite unusual for rabbits to have worms, though it can happen, but if they`re little white worm like creatures living near her bottom it could be fly strike which means they are infact maggots, which can be quite serious.
I don`t mean to scare you i`m just trying to assatain what they are so you nkow what`s wrong with her.

Su.x

Hello, thank you for your replies. It is definately not fly strike as the worms are in the droppings themselves. This is what has stumped me as I can find very little literature on rabbits having intestinal worms. However I shall look at the website posted by elve. To me they look like the kind of roundworm that cats and dogs get? But I didn't know rabbits could get them. I guessing then that they can also then be passed on to humans? Anybody know?

you only catch worms if you eat them - so long as you wash your hands after handling the animals you should be fine.

Hi again.
That topic that you posted (Elve) was very interesting and gave me a bit more understanding. So panacur is the stuff then? To be given orally? How do i go about doing that? How much and how often and for how long... ooh so many questions! I should give it to both of my buns? and how can I prevent any reoccurances? How long can the worms/eggs of the worms live and what can i use to kill them?

Sorry for all the questions, hope somebody can answer some of them! Ooh and one more, what does CCT stand for? It was made reference to several times in that topic and I was especially interested in the information sheet that Cherly mentioned. There was a website too (www.rodentology.co.uk) but it doesn't seem to exist any more, at least thats what my computer told me! Can anybody help there?

Just had a read through the topic as I know all the answers are there somewhere - page 2, Bunny-mad says the dose etc - 10% strength panacur.

CCT is the Cambridge Cavy Trust :)

gucci had worms once..and terrible diorhea...ive found that feeding bramle leaves such as rasp and blackberry help with diorhea..and then i took her to the vert for injections and tablets :roll:

Back