• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am i mean?

ness

Young Bun
Hiya
Is it too cold for bunnies to be out? I am a new bunny owner, we were given a 6 year old nethie, Rupert. He came with a 3 foot hutch (yes i know, I'm desperately looking for bigger second hand hutch so we can get him a girlfriend :love:)
As his hutch is small I open his door at 7am, he then comes in for cuddles at 7pm, then goes to bed at 10pm. My point is I'm perusing the local RSPCA site for available buns and they always mention in the write up that buns like a hop round in the garden when the weather's good. Poor old Rup hops out in all weathers, all though he's obviously got access to shelter. Is that ok?
Sorry I've rambled :oops:
Ness
Ps can you tell me what you'd call Rupert's colour (if you can see the pic)?

Your not mean just a concerned bunny mummy!!! Good luck with finding a bun bun to accompany yours :)
From what I can see in the piccy he looks like a blue/ grey one ... but then dont quote me I have bad eye sight lol!

Hi. Sorry can't see the pic :(

As far as I understand if your bunny lives outdoors he will have grown a thick winter coat (but his hutch still needs well insulating in the winter and covering with something to keep it dry and extra straw to snuggle in), on days when the weather is reasonable he will probably enjoy being outside provided that he has somewhere he can shelter from the rain and wind.

Also it's best for him not to spend too long indoors before putting him back outside as the change in temperature won't do him any good.

Other people might be of more help. I've learnt alot about buns on the forum but I'm no expert.

Rabswood

Hello
My two bunnies sit out in their run in all weathers snow,rain you name it.If Rupert didn,t like it he would take shelter :D
Have you tried ebay for hutches?They do some great ones.
Sorry don,tknow Ruperts colour but i am sure someone will.

Becca

Hiya
Hard to see the photo very clearly but he looks like an agouti colour to me (a brown colouring).
Id be inclined to suggest that you get a large run attached to his hutch that you can cover while the weather is wet. There are alot of predators that could be around if your rabbit is free range in your garden. apologies if he is already in a run. In that case you could try putting a cover over the top to stop the rain.

Hi! I've two bunny pairs who live outside. They have large enclosures with hutches and shelters in, but still insist on siting on top of the hutches, or in the exposed bit. So, you're not being mean!

My two live outside and they seem quite happy, they come inside for cuddles and a run around most evenings though!

No, I've found that when I let Zoe out, I'm freezing but she's fine, she has the option of going back inside but she never does, I used to worry when I first caught her that she'd be warm enough, but I've since learned that she's tougher than she looks and the cold weather doesn't bother her at all (but she's used to it being a stray), she doesn't care that I'm freezing my fingers off!

My buns always sit in their run even when its freeezing!!!!!!!!!!!! they have the option of a warm hutch but prefer the run, i always think their cold but when i feel their skin under the fur its nice and warm.

I give them big litter trays filled with loads of hay that they snuggle in to.

Ebay do lots of big hutches very cheaply!

I used to spend ages covering runs, giving them shelter etc, but they'd just sit in the uncovered bit! I'd say it should be fine as long as it's not raining.

You'd know if he was cold and didn't want to be out because he wouldn't leave his hutch.

Jack is a house bunny and after about 2 mins outside he sits shivering and looking miserably at me until I let him back in - usually after about 10 minutes!! When it snowed he wouldn't even go out at all!

Your bunny has a mind of his own and will do exactly as he pleases so don't think you are a bad bunny mum.

I keep Sophie and Flopsy outside most of the time in a fairly large hutch (6ft by 4ft with 2 levels).

I do exercise them practically ever other day. If it's too wet or cold outside then I bring them in the lounge, you should see Flopsy tear around like a bun possessed!

In the winter I have 2 layers of taupalin, bubble wrap and a blanket, tied down around the hutch. They have a hideaway inside so they're not exposed to anything they dislike.

I've noticed that the RSPCA has become quite strict in rehoming bunnies.

They wouldn't allow anything smaller than 5ft by 4ft :eek: Also to encourage lots of exercise in a run, with a roof and latches to protect the buns from any external element (foxes, cats, weather etc).

They won't bond your new and old buns for you, I mean I've encountered some rescue sites that will do that for you!

Thanks for all your replies. Rupert does seem more than happy to be hopping about in all weathers and he has got a really thick coat, so I guess I shouldn't have worried but its good to hear it from you guys. He uses our utility room as shelter when the weather's too rough. He's free range in the garden when I'm in the house, our cat and dog act as a bodyguard for him!!
Rabswood, I'm a bit worried about the change in temperature (although I guess this will be less of a problem in summer) is there anything that I can do to reduce this. I like to bring him into the house as he enjoys it.
Thanks again
Ness
Ps, I'm off to trawl ebay and freeads for a hutch, i was shocked at the tiny hutches for sale at our local pet shop, I know mine's 3 ft but its so roomy compared with those matchboxes :cry:
pps I reckon he's agouti too, sounds very posh!! :lol:

I took pictures of my rabbits a while back using a thermal imaging camera to see how effective their coats really were at keeping them warm. The only 'hot' bits were their eyes and the spooky 'hot' footprints that they left behind them! :lol:

mybun said:
I took pictures of my rabbits a while back using a thermal imaging camera to see how effective their coats really were at keeping them warm. The only 'hot' bits were their eyes and the spooky 'hot' footprints that they left behind them! :lol:

Cool 8) 8)

PPS I've just measured my hutch and its 4 ft by 2ft by 2ft :shock: which makes me feel a bit better.

Back