• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

shocking free ad person

tomjacob

Banned
I check my local freeads every so often for the animals in case of dire need. Tonight i saw an advert for a 3 leg bunny. As I emailed for more info I saw that I could see what other ads this person has. Oddly a one eared rabbit. I asked the same questions re health, why one ear etc.

I am in tears at the reply:

hi both rabbits have not been neutered or vaccinated .
they are both 8wks old but from different litters
they where both nibbled by there mothers which is the reason for the one ear and the 3 legged , i am selling these for my sister and she lives not far from me at east barkwith . she does not no the sex of the rabbits but will look tomorrow if your interested , they are not house rabbits but with being so young they could be . they are for sale because my sister breeds rabbits and im afraid these are unwanted so want a nice loving home to go to . from name i have witheld email bck if interested

This is Lincolnshire and i am shocked that better care isn't taken to avoid mutilation on multiple occassions. I have heard of mum nibbling but not to this extent and they don't seem bothered at all.

I feel so sick. Another had cross breeds that she said she hadn't bred but oddly she also had pure breeds of the same types as the cross. I just despair. I don't know if I can home them myself and if i did ther will be more next week and the week after as these people just don't care and baby buns are being eaten alive with no care taken of them. Sorry guys but I am so sad at this.

I don't blame you for feeling so sad, that is just terrible. i just cannot believe the mentality of some people.

I really don't know what to say to something like that.

Poor little things. Can't you get the bunnies then you'll know their address and report them to the RSPCA I am sure they will go round and advise if nothing else. Here in Sheffield the Inspectors are very good at things like that.

I you can't keep the buns yourself on a permanent basis I am sure one of the rescues will take them under the circumstances.

Please keep us posted.

Rabswood

It's sad if they are taking no measures to check on the over zealous grooming.....and you're right about taking them to find homes....Every now and then I will take buns from the free ads...if they've been on a while or the advert rings an alarm bell for the buns.....
........but I don't browse the ads regularly as there are always too many to help :( ( and people on here tend to browse them and then ask the rescues if they have spaces.......see thread in pics and stories..free ads buns pics for Angie65!)

Thing is though, okay so you can't exactly stop over-the-top grooming, but it isn't exactly that common either. It is much more common in guineapigs. I would seriously wonder if there is some other way they have become injured... say dogs or cats or something :?

buns

and from 2 different litters at exact same time? very suspicious I would think- How sad and awful!

While not condoning the add i was wondering if the bits missing were done at birth some rabbits do bite things off there not ment to , then its wether you let them live or have them pts? did it say?. val

I can see how a mum rabbit can bite off the ear of her young. But a leg? The mum rabbit would have to bite it off when that rabbit is a really, young baby bunny.

The adds were 2 separate ones but when I looked for other ads the lady is a breeder herself.

I messed this up I'm afraid though as I did say that I was a bit worried that 2 weredisabled as I couldn't hold it in. I was nice about it and said I meant no offence but that maybe disabled bunnies shouldn't be on freeads as need special care and looking after. I shouldn't have at this stage in the game but breeders drive me mad and she was so blase about it, not sorry or sad at all that baby buns were being eaten alive whilst humans did nothing and tried to sell them for £5 each.

I feel bad as she then sent another email saying they had both been homed. I shouldn't have said anything until they were rescued but they probebly do this all the time being as they had no shame or remorse. Why there aren't laws against this cruelty I don't know, how breeders think of this as collateral damage or something is disgusting.

I'm sorry I messed up. I hope the buns are Ok, I will always wonder, I did the wrong tactic although I said I would have them and help, I was just worried.

a breeder i know recantly told me of a case where on of her does had eaten all but one of the legs of one of her kits (which subsequently died) and both of the ears from another.
needless to say she didnt breed from the doe again, though the little chap survived and as far as i know suffers no problems despite his missing ears.

That is soooo sad, Im the same with things like that, make me feel so sad. People just dont think, or are to wrapped up in money and profit to think with their heart! My mum was telling me that in our local paper she saw advertised Free to Good Home a 10 year old terrier Blind..................Now what git would do that????? The only thing I can think of was it was an old persons who had died, but im sure some one could have it, not put in in the paper. That made me cry and sooooo angry :evil: :evil:

why wud mother buns chew off an ear or leg :x ...blergh...i remember wen my m8 had baby guineas and she was sat out in the garden with it on her lap..and her little jack russel grabbed it and shook it... :shock: ...i remember her coming round crying holding it in her arms...and her lil sis delib put males in with the females..which were all related..and the babies came out mong..like..dying or ded..deformed..the sis was about 7...urgh it was just mental..it gets out of hand soo easily...i was just like :? ...this is madness

You can never pridict that a rabbit is going to damage her kits, theres no cruelty about it. Most rabbits dont harm there kits but if you have a new mun thats never done it before it can happen and unless your there at the birth theres nothing you can do. I had a doe that took all the legs of here kits, she must have thought they were umbilical cords. Needless to say it dosent happen again normaly. This undoughtably happens in the wild too.Usualy the next litter is fine. But there is always the exception to the rule and ive heard of rabbits that always eat there young :shock: .What can you say nature is cruel. To keep breeding off a rabbit that does it would be cruel. As for needing speciel homes not always. Having an ear missing is no threat to a normale life nor is no tail. A leg missing if the rabbit is not one of the big breeds can live a happy life on three legs with no speciel treatment. val

Back