• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mrtcharity: Hello From RAWA

Hello to all,

I thought it would be a good idea to let you all know a little more about RAWA and discuss how we can work together.

Firstly lets discuss the rabbit issue. I have not included rabbits with RAWA as the RWF, RWA and tamsin seem to have all areas covered, although I would love to work with all three to help everyone make things better for the animals as this is what it is all about. Rabbits suffer in the same ways as rodents in the pet trade and with spaces in rescue. I have not yet had chance to contact the above three and would like small banners on all pages on the RAWA website to send people to the rabbits welfare sites/organsiations. (the RAWA rescues will cater for rabbits and much of the changes RAWA would like to see will affect rabbits and our mag covers rabbits so they have not been forgotten about :wink: ) I have no objections to adding rabbits to all areas of RAWA i.e. forum and website but do not want to step on any toes. I will also place links to rabbit re-homing sites etc.

RAWA is nearly ready to offically launch we are currently trying to gather committee members and sort out the last few questions we need answers to. RAWA is split into two sub organisations one which is for the correct care and welfare needs if common domestic rodents, campaingning for changes to the pet shop licence and working with companies to produce better items for rodents, such as diet, housing, bedding and toys. The other half is the rescue side. I strongly believe that the UK needs a national rodent and rabbit rescue organisation similar to the CPL or dogs trust. We would also like to work with indpendant rescues which don't put healthy aniamls to sleep offering them support both with the animals and with funds. They would be known as RAWA affiliated rescues.

We would also like to help promote rescued rodents and rabbits and get people to think about what happens when their no longer want their pets (the tlc appeal will do this).

I should be uploading the website at a temperary address at
www.rattyhaven.co.uk some stuff is already there. I have some one doing the website for us. You will all be able to see more about what RAWA is and what RAWA wants to do.

As for the offical stuff the charity people are no very helpful :? If you want to campaing for changes in the law you can not become a charity (HMM don't the RSPCA do that?) We do not want to campaign for these changes but help provide the evidence for these changes and put pressure on the right people to make these changes, is that campaining?

I am looking into the option of registering RAWA as a not for profit limited company with the rescue side as a charity as that will not be campaigning for anything, just rasing awareness and helping animals.

From what I have read about what you guys want to do and from what I understand (I could be wrong) you will need to become a charitable trust. If you are looking at supporting other rescues then you have to be a trust something about legal requirments of people knowing where their money goes. If you want to rasie funds to give to other rescues then you will have to be a trust and rescues can apply to you for money/grants. I think they may have to be a registered charity to apply but I might be wrong as if you state that people don't have to be a chairty they could still apply. I have no idea.

You would also need to check the rescues you give money to.

As for working together, I think it is a much better way to go than working alone. I would love to come to a meeting but being in Devon you guys are a long way away for me to get to. Maybe a meeting in Brimingham would be a good idea.

Anyway I hope that explains things and opens a door for us to chat about what we are all looking to do.

Best Wishes
Siobhan

Hi all,
Firstly a warm welcome to Siobhan, I did make contact with her VIA the RAWA Forums.

Sorry Siobhan for not having called you, I have just been going through some rather hectic times, both with work and family life, but that’s all for another topic in another section of the forums.

We are at much the same stage as your self with looking for Directors for the company, and committee/trustees for the charity, I think this is likely to be the hardest part either of us have to do.

Our vision is to do much as you have already set out and we where looking to cover all small animals from Mice up to Rabbits, to try and change views on the pet shop trade of small animals and so on.

The rescue side of things we where looking at having affiliates to the charity, no point in re-inventing the wheel when there is a huge resource of rescues already out there. So for instance we run Rabbit and Guinea Pig Welfare, we would be able to have the RAWA or SAWRA tag in our name if we where an affiliate, we also understand that we should have minimum standards to become an affiliate with recommended standards that would have to be reached to remain under the wing of the charity, part of that will be keeping accurate financial records for annual returns so the charity can amalgamate all the rescues finances into its own reports, this should cover the charity covering numerous rescues.

I too would love to sit in a meeting with your self/selves to discuss where we are with each idea and if we can easily join forces to create the charity we all know we need.

I shall be in touch, thanks for the intro, I shall have a chat with those already involved with SAWRA and make sure every one is happy to see if we can merge, I’m a very democratic person, or at least try to be, so I feel it would be best I check with every one before any decisions are made.

All the best
Shaun

You are more than welcome to join a meeting we have the committee and our 1st offical meeting is on the 3rd march in Taunton Somerset, venue TBC.

I do feel we need more rescues especially in the south west things are pretty bad around here and 100's of small animals are put to sleep each month.

Rescues that opt to become affilicate with RAWA will have all the benifits of being a RAWA rescue really, but not nessarily run to the same policies, there will be a few things they will have to do such as not put healthly animals down, not re-home to children (without parents having an intrest) and not breeding from the animals in the rescue or re-home to homes were they will be bred from. Of course they would have to meet miniumum caging requirement and have good husbandary as well as a good knowledge of what they are doing. It is surprising just who many people say they are a rescue and yet have no idea about the aniamals or even how to sex them. Let alone any from of good husbandary.

I think the biggest help to other rescues would be a support network. In the long term I would like to be able to set up a transportation network. Employ drivers to go around the UK moving animals (long way head yet :wink: ).

From what I know, places like the CLP give branches a certain amount of money each year but each branch is expected to do it's own fund rasing as well. I have friends who work for the NAWT and was hoping to have a chat with them about how each centre recieves it's funding.

The other advantage of having more rescues in the from of RAWA rescues is to have walk in centres. They would be of great benifit as people would be able to visit and therefore donate more money. It would also highlight rescue rodents and rabbits.

This week will be confriming things with the Charity commission about campaigning and becoming a charity and see what we can do from that point. We should have our bank accounts open next week and then all systems are go.

If you can make the meeting then please do. We have been quite lucky to find a group of people with good experience in different areas. SO fingers crossed they can apply their knowledge to RAWA.

Back