• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Amy has infected bite

touie

Wise Old Thumper
well after going to the vets with a nice clean healed bite it seems to have got very infected, swollen and mishappen :( I've just tried to bath it in salt water but I only managed to hold Amy still for 2 swabs have a vets appointment in the morning. Is there anything else i could do in the mean time bearing in mind i can't hold her for more than 3 mins? :?

touie said:
well after going to the vets with a nice clean healed bite it seems to have got very infected, swollen and mishappen :( I've just tried to bath it in salt water but I only managed to hold Amy still for 2 swabs have a vets appointment in the morning. Is there anything else i could do in the mean time bearing in mind i can't hold her for more than 3 mins? :?
Not really!! Sounds like it is going to be a GA/debride job at the Vets. A culture of the pus for Bacteriology might be helpful to ensure the correct antibiotic is given. In my opinion Baytril will be a waste of time (and money :roll: ). Jane and Buns xx

I most highly recomend Manuka honey. You will need to hold her to put it in though :? And it does need to go in, not just on the wound. I have now had had great success with it in two horrible infected wounds, both from fight wounds, and also in castration abcesses in guineas. Frances Harcourt Brown in The Textbook of Rabbit Medicine has lots of good things to say about it, and my experience backs it up. It not only stops the bacteria from functioning but it promotes growth of new granulation tissue.

doorkeeper said:
I most highly recomend Manuka honey. You will need to hold her to put it in though :? And it does need to go in, not just on the wound. I have now had had great success with it in two horrible infected wounds, both from fight wounds, and also in castration abcesses in guineas. Frances Harcourt Brown in The Textbook of Rabbit Medicine has lots of good things to say about it, and my experience backs it up. It not only stops the bacteria from functioning but it promotes growth of new granulation tissue.
Yes, Manuka Honey is great BUT you have to be able to hold on to Bunny to apply it!! Sounds like Amy might not be that co-operative :? :roll: Please let us know how she gets on Touie. Jane and Buns xx

She's gone in for surgery. There doesnt appear to be any abcesses present but there is a large hole in the skin that is pussy, lots of dead tissue and she's going to need reconstructive work on her genitalia :( Really couldnt believe the state of it, the wound looked fine 3 days ago now the damage is comparable to flystrike damage! :shock: and after the surgery there's obviously the risk that it could all flare up again :(

poor girly :( When I tried Maa with her daughters for the first time since her op yesterday (been apart 3 months) she went straight for their genitalia - I whacked a plastic wash basket over her and no harm done I hope - I won't be trying to bond them again as I can't afford the vet bills :(

Hope Amy gets well soon and has a more restful time of things.

poor amy, I hope the vet can sort out the bite, it's horrifying how these things can get worse in a short space of time.

thinking about the infected hole on Amys tummy, she was running around with mouthfulls of fur and hay the other day and making a nest, could she have got a bit carried away lining her nest with fur and damaged her tummy? :? I've just cleaned her cage out and it looks like there's half a rabbit in there :shock:

touie said:
thinking about the infected hole on Amys tummy, she was running around with mouthfulls of fur and hay the other day and making a nest, could she have got a bit carried away lining her nest with fur and damaged her tummy? :? I've just cleaned her cage out and it looks like there's half a rabbit in there :shock:
When was she spayed Touie? I did not realise the bite was on her underside, I thought it was on her back. If the infected area is around her spay scar could it actually be a suture/staple that got left in? How did she get a bite on her tum :? :shock: :? Jane and Buns xx

She hasn't been speyed yet, i asked if they could do it while she was under the GA but they said no because of the infection risk! The bite was originally by her genitals caused by her excessive humping of Fudges head! :shock: The hole in her tummy i cant explain though it looks like shes been eating herself! :shock: :?

well the vets have phoned. It's much more serious than they originally thought, they're keeping her in overnight. They've managed to clean up her tummy hole but she's been nibbling too, her genitals are in a right mess, the labia is partly detached, there's chunks missing and the bits that i thought were swollen lumps actually are the insides of her vagina hanging out :shock: :( the vet didnt seem too positive about her recovering ok either :cry:

ooh dear - that sounds awful :( Did they have any idea how it happened? She's not been with Fudge again has she? Poor girl - fingers crossed for her :(

thanks, I think they're worried that she won't be able to wee so they're keeping her in to monitor that, then if that goes ok it's the re infection risk that is worrying!

touie said:
well the vets have phoned. It's much more serious than they originally thought, they're keeping her in overnight. They've managed to clean up her tummy hole but she's been nibbling too, her genitals are in a right mess, the labia is partly detached, there's chunks missing and the bits that i thought were swollen lumps actually are the insides of her vagina hanging out :shock: :( the vet didnt seem too positive about her recovering ok either :cry:

ohhh nooo :( So sorry to hear this :(

Hope she recovers soon, keep us updated on how Amy is doing xxxx

What a worry! I can see how there would be a risk of re-infection because of where the bite is. Please keep us updated.

Back