• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shyness

ladystardust

Alpha Buck
How can I help with Sophie's shyness? I've tried to calm her down and make her spend time both outdoors and indoors. When I try to pick her up she tries to runaway and hide in the tiniest of corners. When I do catch her I stroke her nose and try to calm her down, I don't want to cause her any distress.

I know in the past people have mentioned feeding treats with bunnies etc. But I want to give her something other than food to make her feel more of a connection with me.

She was bought from a breeder at the Romsey Show, I think her breeder mistreated her although I can't be 100% sure. As she does coward over the smallest of things like noises on the TV and people moving (I know we're large and scary) ...

Eeek help?? Any success stories etc? I have considered maybe getting another shy bunny and help them along together. Flopsy is just so dominant he is neutered as well :eek:

One of my boys was a bit shy when we first had him but I found that giving him some treats with one hand and stroking him with the other calmed him down a little.

Alternatively, if you don't want to try with food, you can let her have a run in an enclosed space and you sit on the floor with her. When she approaches, just stay still and let her sniff you. Then gradually start to move your hands out so she can sniff your hands and try and stroke her. This is what we did with our nervous boy.

As well if your other bun is quite bold and brave as our other one is, give him a bit of a fuss to show the other bun that your not hurting them or anything.

Don't know if it will help but it worked for my bunny who was a bit shy.

Just tried the hand in food thing *admitedly I have shakey hands cos of my meds* she bit my thumb :?

Before she was licking me like a cat :eek:

I think she doesn't know how to "take" human beings

Hi! We had a very shy bunny from a rescue, he was dumped in a field with his brothers at about 6 weeks old, so he had had very little contact with people and what he did have was very negative.

Anyway, we found taht just lying on the floor in his room really helped him over come his nervousness and shyness. If you get really low down they feel much less threatened and will come and investigate what you are doing, they can't seem to control their nosey side :lol:

It took a really long time, I mean months but we have now progressed so that he will jump up onto our laps, sometimes he will let us stroke him, especially if Fern is having a stroke cos he gets jealous!! :lol:

You can kind of tell that he wants to be involved when we make a fuss of Fern, but he doesn't have the confidence she does, but we are definately getting there with him and we are seeing a lot more of his wonderful personality!

Good luck, you just need perservere! :D

Ha, just realised that Linda_m's advice is almost identical, you clearly type a lot faster than me :lol:

Lanny said:
Anyway, we found taht just lying on the floor in his room really helped him over come his nervousness and shyness. If you get really low down they feel much less threatened and will come and investigate what you are doing, they can't seem to control their nosey side :lol:

Good luck, you just need perservere! :D

Yeah she definitely feels intimidated by my height (I'm only 5ft2) so getting down low might be the best. I do often kneel by her ..

Flopsy jumps on you without the slightest bit of intervention on my behalf :)

As Lanny said, it will take time and you need to persevere.

If she's licked you, thats good, bunnys only tend to lick people they like :D
And not many bunnys lick their owners! You are privalidged!(sp)

lynda_m said:
As Lanny said, it will take time and you need to persevere.

If she's licked you, thats good, bunnys only tend to lick people they like :D
And not many bunnys lick their owners! You are privalidged!(sp)

I never thought that they did :roll: :oops:

I always equate licking with cats! I know she does the same to Flopsy soooo maybe you're right :shock: :)

If you have had bunny licks then you must be doing something right! We haven't had the privilige of those from donny! :lol: Although he does lick our clothes and the floor when he is having a fuss.

If you have a confident bun with her then this will help as she will soon figure out that your other bun is getting lovely strokes and treats and she is missing out!

Good luck, it sounds like your on the right track though

aawww you are doing great with Sophie... unfortunately i have exactly the same problem with my Nala... ive had her about 10months now and she is still so nervous. She doesnt like to be touched but sometimes i am able to stroke her head.. its slowly getting more and more. I have spent time sat on the floor and usually have food on me so that she comes to have a nose.. she will do anything for food! If i do manage to catch her and pick her up onto mylap for a groom i always give her a few pellets/piece of fruit so that she remembers it as a good thing. She will happily take food from my hand and often sits on the floor by me but as soon as i move she runs away. Im hopeful that she will continue to trust me more... it just takes such a long time. Simba is more like your Flopsy, in that he will come to me and will jump onto my lap for strokes etc.

I think shyness is genetic - of my 20 piggies the only ones that are very timid are the ones with the very timid dad - The babies that had a very confident dad and mum are totally fearless, although they do hate being picked up!

I've found it very interesting seeing how tame and trusting they've all become, because I've had very little time to handle them - I wish I had more time as all I do is clean - But just from being in a constant environment with one carer, and me being consistent with routine they have become tamer over 5 months - They probably get petted as little as once a week, or once a fortnight sometimes, but they now stand still to be picked up, don't struggle, and seem to like being stroked.

Same with the 'wild girls' in the shed - living wild in a garden before going to rescue, I've never handled them at all in 6 months, just been kind and consistent, but this week Primrose let me pet her and pick her up! I was gobsmacked! Zinniea let me stroke her for a minute last week too - I think they just need time.

Problem with Nala is she needs to be groomed - I just groomed one of my problem pigs today - she's probably gone back to square one with taming now, but you have to do it with long haired pets :roll:

My Kahlo is just the same. She's absolutely petrified of hands, either stroking or going to pick her up. But, lying on the floor does really work. She's been with me nearly 3 months now, and she will come and sit on my chest, or if I lie on my front she treats me like some kind of showjumping toy, hopping on and off my back or jumping straight over again and again. She comes and sits right next to our feet if we're on the sofa, but the moment we move our hands she legs it again. She will sniff my fingers if I put them on the floor and sometimes tolerates the smallest of strokes, but this is a very recent thing.

Licking is definitely a good sign. Kahlo licks my clothes, so she must kinda like me!

Diddeen said:
aawww you are doing great with Sophie... unfortunately i have exactly the same problem with my Nala... ive had her about 10months now and she is still so nervous. She doesnt like to be touched but sometimes i am able to stroke her head.. its slowly getting more and more. I have spent time sat on the floor and usually have food on me so that she comes to have a nose.. she will do anything for food! If i do manage to catch her and pick her up onto mylap for a groom i always give her a few pellets/piece of fruit so that she remembers it as a good thing. She will happily take food from my hand and often sits on the floor by me but as soon as i move she runs away. Im hopeful that she will continue to trust me more... it just takes such a long time. Simba is more like your Flopsy, in that he will come to me and will jump onto my lap for strokes etc.

I think we just have to keep perservering.
I've started the grooming thing and bringing her indoors independently just to give 110% of my attention.
Sophie won't eat the carrots I have in my hand, she gnaws at them and the debris falls out of her mouth onto the floor. When she's in the hutch with Flopsy it's a different story, although Flopsy is always poking his head over the top demanding to be let loose. Always awake and with it that one. Never seen either asleep before :oops:

elve said:
I think shyness is genetic - of my 20 piggies the only ones that are very timid are the ones with the very timid dad - The babies that had a very confident dad and mum are totally fearless, although they do hate being picked up!

Problem with Nala is she needs to be groomed - I just groomed one of my problem pigs today - she's probably gone back to square one with taming now, but you have to do it with long haired pets :roll:

Awww
I've never had piggies before :wink:
Can't have long haired animals either. I think white coloured animals are generally more shy because they stick out and can't camoflauge themselves that easily .. just a random thought :(

Hi

it's reassuring to see that other bunnies can be shy

my rabbit, poppy i have had for 3 months, she is nearly 6 months old

since i have had her she has resisted being picked up, i put it down to my inexperience as I have never owned a bunny before.

since being on this, and other sites i have gradually increased her confidence in me - by hand feeding,getting in a quick stroke while she is eating and by sitting/lying on the floor letting her come up to my face.

She isn't at the stage of hopping onto my lap for a fuss - not sure if she ever will be, but softly softly approach seems to be working for now - fingers crossed!

someone else has adviced me she may calm down if i get her spayed, which i may do in the next month- after which i may get a boy to keep her company?!

good luck with sophie

DSC00067.jpg

Spaying? Hmmm not sure. Has anyone else heard this? :shock:

It is reassuring you're right there and it takes a lot of time and patience.
I'd just be content in finding Sophie not cowering in a corner in her hutch or running away from me when I ever I get close.

I can pick her up, which is something.

Her tag at the agri fayre said she was "friendly" but I think she needs to overcome the newness barrier I don't know :roll:

Spaying can help, entire does tend to be a bit more feisty and very very terratorial. Spaying calmed down Fern, but she still chases us off HER sofa in the bunnies room :lol: :lol:

She was always very confident though so I don't know if it would directly help with her shyness

How is it going with Sophie - is she any better?

When I first got jack he was so timid and shy and couldn't stand being handled. After seeing how the lady I adopted him from practically yanked him out of his cage I wasn't surprised.

He lives in my dining room so I used to get a good book, lie on the floor and read. If he came up to me I would either ignore him or give him a treat.

Then I started giving him more and more nose rubs, treats and attention.

Now he shoots out from under the table (where he spends most of his time!) and over to whoever has just come in the room for a cuddle and any treats that person may have.

In the last few weeks he's got even braver and now jumps up to sit on the sofa (read climb all over the sofa and us and try and drink out of any mugs of tea we may be holding :roll: ) with us in an evening.

I think the moral is to let her come to you so she feels in control.

Back