• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with baby squidge

big-si

New Kit
Bella, our dwarf lop had 8 gorgeous, unexpected babies on Christmas eve.

One died on Christmas day, the other 7 are now 17 days old. They've opened their eyes and are beginning to explore beyond the nest.

Squidge is about half the size of his brothers sisters. Like them his eyes are open and he also explores beyond the nest, but tends to get knocked around by his bigger sibblings.

His belly isn't sunken, he's not crying, but he is definately much smaller. When I held him today to check him over he suckled my finger, so we tried drops of goats milk from a syringe, but he ignored it.

He doesn't seem at all distressed, but we are concerned about him not being able to compete with his brothers and sisters for his mum's milk.

Have we got a problem, if so what can we do?

i had a runt in my litter , but what i used to do was put just him in with the mum for a little bit just so he could catch up! never did any harm

Sounds to me that this little one may be what we breeders call a peanut, if it is them im sorry but he wont make it :cry: , no matter what you do. In my experience rabbits dont have so called runts, if one is born laging behind then its usualy because there is something very wrong with it somewere. To test the theory out to see if its a peanut put it to the mums teat to let it suckle. The doe can be held like a baby upside down in your arms and someone else hold the baby to a teat. What usualy happens is that the baby wants to suckle but gets confused and wont carry on drinking it will move as if trying to find a teat. this lack of concentration if why it wont thrive. Sometimes they will have a little swelling on the top of the head but this may not now be visable because its older. You could try to hand feed with something like kitten milk but if it reacts like ive mentioned then the chances are that it will in the end die. As a breeder ive come across this a few times.Usualy it comes down to one of the parents carrying the [peanut ] gene and should never be used again for breeding. If im certain that it is a peanut i take it to the vet to be pts because the result is that it starves to death if left. As i say anyway test the baby out to see if it can feed properly but i think it may not have a happy out come. I rearly hope that im wrong, it has been known . val

I have also seen rabbit w/ lighter weight during the early stage grow to a normal size later on.

I would give this little guy every chance he is entitle to with whatever milk you can find, 1 cc. at a time of force feeding if necessary and see how it turns out

Hi - just to show you how my little Kami was very small compared with the others and always seemed to be lagging behind - just see how he caught up :D
Kami is the little one hidden at the back and round the wrong way :roll:

toshowkamiwassmall2.jpg

toshowkamiwassmall.jpg

And here he is now - a year old soon :D (Hes the one on the right!)

TuiandKamiwithveg002.jpg

Obviously this may not be the same situation as your little one but Kami has turned out okx

thanks all for your replies.

Val - tried your suggestion, Bella (the mother) wasn't keen, but squidge managed to latch on OK. Thanks for the suggestion, feel a bit more positive about his chances now.

Sarsimp -what cute bunnies! Kami's grown into one hansome fella!

Earlier today we noticed all the babies, including Squidge, were starting to nibble on hay and greens, so hopefully he'll be OK.

sarsimp, it seems Kami may be a slow grower at the beginning, but turns out okay in the end. I came across cases of human in similar situation.

Big-si, every new baby rabbit has their own choice of favorite food and treats, see what favorite treats this little one likes, and give it to him, see if that can accelerate his growth.

taylor v 109 said:
Sounds to me that this little one may be what we breeders call a peanut, if it is them im sorry but he wont make it :cry:

Peanuts only live to a couple of days old, they are a result of the double dose of dwarfing gene and pretty much are a Nethie/Mini Lop problem. A Netherland Dwarf or a Mini Lop has one dwarf gene and one normal gene which is what makes them so cute and dumpy. Breeding pure Nethie x Nethie will give 1/4 "big uns" (most pet Nethies are big uns) 1/2 Nethies and 1/4 peanuts. Many breeders mate Nethie x big un - this gives 1/2 big uns and half Nethie.

In the past I have found that runts were quite common, but there wasn't usually much in it and they would tend to catch up. I found that leaving the little one with mum worked well in some cases.

Hope he does okay :)

catch up is the key word. When I get this rabbit, the breeder sell it to me because she is a bit smaller, compares to the other 4 in the same lot.

But now she is 6 mth. old, this fur ball really catch up and gain weight and got heavy. So, you'll be surprise on the effort of a rabbit if you give him the chance to grow. This little fur ball eats almost one big bowl of hay a day. Plus regular pellet. I love rabbits who eats lots of hay.

IM glad you feel more confident i hope its ok. Its very hard without piccies to tell if your describing a peanut. I know of someone that reared a peanut till it was 12 wks [ now knowing it to be the worst thing she could have done. Its common in a lot of breeds not just minis and netherlands. Ive been breeding for ten years and know breeders of every rabbit going and its a universal problem. the only thing to do is not breed the pair again because they are both carring the gene. val

Back