• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

eating whiskers!

honey

Alpha Buck
i was just reading the post about trimming a rabbits whiskers and it reminded me of my old sooty rabbit who used to eat other rabbits whiskers :shock: :?

sadly she died three years ago but after she died pop had whiskers for the first time!

i never really knew why she did this or if it's something some rabbits do - any ideas???

I know some animals chew the fur off their cagemates as a sign of dominance - it's called barbering (they can also do it to themselves in times of stress/as a bad habit). I've got a mouse that has chewed off all of the fur on her two cagemate's faces :shock: And I have heard of chinchillas chewing the whiskers off of themselves and cagemates

loopylop said:
honey said:
i was just reading the post about trimming a rabbits whiskers

Are you supposed to trim a buns whiskers? :?

it's never even crossed my mind to trim whiskers!!!

karly, that's interesting to hear about the fur pulling. she was the boss but never aggressive to pop in fact she was really protective of her. i hadn't really thought much about dominance i thought she may have liked the taste :oops:

My cockatiel tried to preen Bella's whiskers yesterday. She was having a cuddle whch meant she was sitting still so Loki decided she was safe to approach.
Those whiskers were just too much temptation for him so I had to keep a hand between the pair of them.

Back