• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Skinny bunny

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
Skip seems to have got a bit skinnier.......not sure if i'm paranoid or not but he seems to be.

My mum mentioned it when she came round also......surely he should be fatter in winter??

Should i feed him more, he doesn't seem ill or anything :?

whats he getting fed at the mo? You could try giving him a few porage oats as well as his normal food XX

May be you could take him to the vets for a weigh in and check upto see how much weight he's lost. Might be worth while getting the vet to check his teeth too. Treacle started to lose weight without appearing ill initially, wish I'd have got him looked at sooner now!!!

He has unlimitied hay everyday and 2 small servings of supa excel.

The problem is the vet has never weighed him so will have nothing to compare to apart from a average weight (anyone know what a dwarf lop male uneutered should weigh??? I could try him on my bathroom scales!!)

His front teeth look fine but not sure about his back maybe i will whip him to the vets as he needs claws cutting too as i have tried but can't get to them all :lol:

Thing is he hates the vets and was really ill when he last went (not sure if stress or the VHD jab caused it?)

My vet is a bit slack at weighing them sometimes, but i just insist on weighing them when I'm there and they don't seem to mind!!! If you've got a carrier you could put him in that and place it on your scales makes it easier to get a measurement. Then weigh the carrier by itself and deduct the difference. Won't help now but if you do it regularly you can see whether he's loosing weight or not! :wink:

You could always check his weight at home!! If YOUR weight is relatively stable weigh yourself, then weigh yourself holding your bun. The difference between the two will give you the weight of your Bun. Not 100% accurate but should detect any significant weight loss in your bun provided your weight doesn't vary TOO MUCH... :wink: :wink: Jane and Buns xx

It should be ok-ish to do that, as long as you weigh yourself separately each time, a spot of water retention at certain times could be enough to make your weight totally different.

When I weighed Dudley by the holding-him-on-the-bathroom-scales method, he weighed in at 1.6kg, whereas at GBH on their proper scales, he weighed 1.3kg so I don't think those bathroom scales are necessarily terribly accurate at low fluctuations.

I'm about to buy a pair of digital kitchen scales (why are they still a pair even though they don't have the 2 balance dishes any more) the cheapest pair in Argos is half price at £7.99 and they weigh up to 5kg - should be far more accurate.

AlisonA said:
It should be ok-ish to do that, as long as you weigh yourself separately each time, a spot of water retention at certain times could be enough to make your weight totally different.

When I weighed Dudley by the holding-him-on-the-bathroom-scales method, he weighed in at 1.6kg, whereas at GBH on their proper scales, he weighed 1.3kg so I don't think those bathroom scales are necessarily terribly accurate at low fluctuations.

I'm about to buy a pair of digital kitchen scales (why are they still a pair even though they don't have the 2 balance dishes any more) the cheapest pair in Argos is half price at £7.99 and they weigh up to 5kg - should be far more accurate.

Just picturing one of my 4kg bunnies balanced on the kitchen scales! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: I have a 4.5kg bunny too, I was planning on replacing the bowl with something a bit more substantial for him :lol:

I give my rabbits Rescue Remedy before taking them to the vets. It's a herbal remedy that reduces stress. Pop a few drops (follow the directions on the bottle) into their water around 12 hours before taking them to the vets, and if you can pop two drops or so directly into their mouths right before leaving. Miles gets into a terrible state when he goes to the vets, I think he goes into a kind of shock as he sits up, his eyes half close and he rocks back and forth breathing heavily. It's got better since giving him Rescue Remedy, so you might find it helps Skip too.

Best of luck in getting the weight thing sorted! Don't forget to ask the vet to check his teeth.

AMETHYST

Back