• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting Holly Sprayed

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
Hi All,

I recently rescued Holly (just over a year) and she bonded straight away with Alfie and they are very happy bunsters!

She hasn't been sprayed and I would like to, however after what happened with Alfie (pulling his stitches out and having to wear a collar) I am petrified the same will happen.

I am going to take her to another vets that will have dissolvable stitches this time round but I am soo nervous about having her done.

I am planing on waiting a little while to get her sprayed anyway so she can settle in first, she also needs her jabs so getting that sorted over the next few weeks.

What happens when she is sprayed - will i have to separate her from Alfie until she is healed??

Thanks all (they are outside buns btw)

Hi,

asked for a vet who is experienced in completely burying sutures (not just the end) - unlikely to have any problems then!

LOuise x

Alfie kennedy said:
What happens when she is sprayed - will i have to separate her from Alfie until she is healed??

Thanks all (they are outside buns btw)

she gets wet :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry couldn't resist! I've not had a bonded bunny spayed before so I'm not sure about separation. I would definately look around for a vet that uses glue rather than stitches. Niamh took a bit longer than the boys to recover but was back to her usual bright self after a couple of days!

When my vet does a spay they use dissolveable for inside, and invisible for holding the skin together - so there's nothing for the bunny to pull on - Not all vets use these hidden stitches though so you would have to ask around.

After Holly's spay she'll need to spend probably 3 nights in the house near a heater, like you would be extra warm in a hospital after a major op - so you need to set up a recovery area, and if you want Alfie to come in too then he may or may not be OK with her - if he's a very gentle bunny he'll probably be fine, if he's a mad humping and chasing type, then probably not!

She will need to be in a smallish cage or crate, so that she doesn't run or jump and pull her wound inside - she should be healing after a few days so just for the first 3 days or so - you could maybe have her cage in an indoor run with Alfie in the run and Holly in the cage? She doesn't really want to be climbing ladders in a hutch for a week I would guess?

get lots of her fav veg in to get her eating again, and just like with Alfie really for aftercare :)

Hi Elve,

Thanks for your advice! I have an indoor cage which is prob a bit too small for the pair of them and my flat is too small to have two runs next door to each other - may have to use the bathroom or something?!?

am not going to rush to get her sprayed as i want her to settle in, will probably get her sprayed in the next 6 months!

thanks again

Bonnie

Probably is a good idea to wait a while before having her spayed as I THINK you mentioned she was a bit.....ermmmm.......portly!!! So it would be great if she could get any excess weight off before her op' :D . I am sure young Alfie will be great as an exercise companion.... :wink: :wink: Holly is really pretty and I bet Alfie thinks she is too!! :D :D Jane and Buns xx

ooh good point Jane - fat absorbs the anaesthetic doesn't it? So it's harder for a plump bunny to recover?

elve said:
ooh good point Jane - fat absorbs the anaesthetic doesn't it? So it's harder for a plump bunny to recover?
Yeh, and I believe that overweight Does lay down post surgical adhesions more rapidly too. This can lead to long term GI/Bladder problems. Jane and Buns xx

My two girls got spayed yesterday and are doing alright. The vet put 3 layers of sutures inside and skin glue on the outside so there are no visible stitches, nothing for them to pull on and nothing that will take another trip back to have removed. I think that's becoming a much more common practice. And both my girls got spayed at the same time and came back to the same cage and are currently living in harmony so I think your buns should be fine. But check with your vet in case.

Thanks all!

Well Holly is a tiny bit on the porky side (not much) and is getting loads of exercise at the moment!

I have decided to wait until the summer to get her done when she is a bit trimmer and the weather is warmer - she will be 2 years old then.

I am also going to phone around different vets and see how they do their stitches, i wasn't pleased with the way Alfie was stitched up last time.

Lamuertebella - glad your buns are doing well after their spray!

Bonnie

Back