• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spot on

Denny

Mama Doe
does anyone know if this stuff works in eradicting fur mites, fur mange etc or is it just a preventative??

not for me but have a feeling this bun that has it wont be going to the vet :( i have some in the cupboard so was wondering if I could use it on this bunny if I conviently went round :wink:

Is it Xenex (or another permethrin based one?) If so, yes, it does kill them as well. My pack says it kills them for up to 2 weeks, so I guess it would also take a good environment clean to make sure they aren't hanging around in the hutch as well. Do you have the dosage instructions there, I think you have to be relatively accurate on the weight. It's also highly toxic to cats so don't let them treat any cat they may have as well!

Hi Alison,

its not xenex, it says on the box 'anti-paraste spot on' and its made by beaphar

the dosage is one pippette per 750g body weight (not sure what dosage that will be as apparently this bun is a frenchie :? )

its says on the box that it contains ivermectin and is effective against lice, mange mites, other mites and roundworm. it will continue to be effective for up to four weeks from the day of treatment

I used Advantage Spot On for Princess when she had cheytiella, worked a treat :) The Spot On stuff you have would prob work just as well.

thanks everyone :D the bunny is going to the vets which by the sounds of it, he needs as he has a bald patch and abit scabby :( :(

I brought it though as a preventative measure but not sure whether to use it or not :?

I've just bought some of that stuff for my rabbits too. If it helps I have three rabbits and two have been weighed before. Rosie is a Polish (small breed) she was weighed at the vets as 1.3kg, Honey a rex (large breed?) was 3.2kg but apparently slightly overweight at the time. It says on the box to put it in a dot in between the shoulders on their back but I sort of made a parting down the middle of their backs and put the stuff all the way down in a line.

Back