• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit losing a patch of his hair?

Evilmonkey

New Kit
Morning, (hopefully) not urgent, but just a little concerning. Warren@s lost a patch of fur about 1cm square on his back. No bleeding at all, but it looks as if the furs attached to a scab?

Not sure if its relevant, but he's in a different hutch as we're staying at my in-laws. Also he was neutered about 3 weeks ago. He seems fine otherwise, am hoping its just a blip, but am worried in case mroe fur falls out? He's a rex breed which might be relevant?

Any thoughts would be gratefully received....

Luke

My rex gets this when he moults, it is like flakey skin/scab. It doesn't cause him harm or need vet treatment, it clears up within the week, but the fur obviously takes time to grow back. I normlly notice Smokie's when I groom him.

phewwwww

That was a thought I'd had (I'd not seen him moult in any other way so far, so did wonder)

I'll keep an eye on it, but it does seem likely!!

Thanks

Luke

Oh and merry xmas (warren got a groovy new bowl, a new ball and a throw toy!)

Apart from mites being a big likely, did the vet give him an antibiotic cover/anti inflammatory jab when he was neutered? May be a reaction at the injection site?
But also like the person above says, one of mine moults & it doesn't fall away properly resulting in the occasional crusy looking patch!

If rabbits get fleas or mites they like to stick to patches of fur rather than spreading themselves out which results in the rabbit constantly scratching the same place and eventually there will be a bald patch. Where about is the bald patch? if it is on the middle of his back or head it may be likely its from itching.

If it's a very young bun, s/he will lose hair in patches as s/he loses his/her baby hair and the adult coat grows in. Otherwise, the other posters have it covered.

Back