• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what are the chances??*quite long but please read*

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
im in quite a pickle at the moment. i have fell for a little boy that is up for rehoming on this site-he is a year old and un neutered. if i were to have him i would get him done as soon as possible but my question is this-what are the chances of him getting on with Gabriel?(my neutered boy)

i know i asked this question a while back as i was interested in a pair of boys(i still am interested in this pair and im waiting to hear back from the rescue on this one) but realisticly(sp?) what are the chances of 2 boys getting on? i have no experience whatsoever in bonding rabbits(although i have alot of experience in bonding rats! LOL)

if i were to get this young boy and things didnt work out between him and Gabriel-would getting them both a girlfriend each cause problems? they would all be house bunnies but i know that girls can be terrotorial :?

at the end of the day no matter how many bunnies i fall inlove with i just want Gabriel to have a friend. i have been looking since september and he is desperate for a friend. i really wanted him to have one for christmas but this doesnt look likely now :(

i am falling inlove with this little boy but i just want to do whats best for Gabriel. if i were to not get this boy, but instead get the pair of bonded boys and try bonding him with them-if this didnt work would getting Gabriel a girlfriend at this point cause problems?

gosh i hope all of this makes sense, i just dont know what to do! i really have to stop looking in the rescue rehoming section and RR!! :shock:

HELP!!!

hi

you can bond Gabriel to a boy, but it will take longer most likely than bonding him to a girl (bear in mind I adopted Tia to go with Benny and he bit her face off and is now living alone outside!) When I got Benny he was bonded to his brother, and they were quite content, but had been together always - 5Cutebunnies on here bonded 3 boys by letting them live alongside each other for months, before trying them in a neutral area as a group.

I'm sure that trying to bond Gabriel to the pair of boys won't work though - bonding any single bunny into any pair usually makes the fur fly - especially if it's a pair of boys I would imagine - you could very likely end up with 3 single males needing girlfriends...although there are no rules really with bunnies - they are so individual they like to suprise us!

Your best bet would be to take him to a rescue that organises such things, and allow him to meet several prospective partners in a neutral area to both of them (ie: not in the run at the rescue, as the rescue rabbit will maybe be territorial about that) I've had enough failed bondings with Benny to have given up now - my single bunnies are staying single as I've no room for any more 'rejects' :roll:
I do wonder if Benny would have preferred a boy partner again, but I'm full up with girlies now - he hates them all :(

Good luck :)

Boy bondings can work, I think you just have to be a bit more wary.
I think it's impossible to say whether a pairing will work without actually going ahead and trying it. Of course, you can learn a bun's personality but the oddest pairings can work when you least expect it!
When I ended up taking Joey home from work, I tried bonding him with Mary (after both had been neutered and had the calmign down period). Things weren't going badly - there was no biting, fighting, etc. and Joey really loved following Mary around, but Mary just wasn't interested!
I decided to postpone introducing them and consider getting them a girly each from a rescue.
Then I ended up taking home Squishy, who needed his incisors removed, so I got him neutered at the same time. This meant I had the three boys - two of them incisorless. I decided rather than risk injury with bonding Joey and Mary, I'd try Mary with Squishy. Introductions went very well, very quickly, and they were soon very loved up and living together!
A few months later I then got offered Rex, as his teeth were bad so he couldn't be sold. I wasn't planning on keeping him, but he never made it to the rescue or home lined up for him :lol: So here I was with another toothless bun, and thought what the heck, I'll try him with Mary and Squishy! So let him have his cooling off period, took them all out in carriers and popped them together for the drive home. They spent a bit of time home in a neutral area while I scrubbed out the crate to make it as neutral as possible, rearranged it all and put them back in, and they've been brilliant since:
triocuddle.jpg

triosnuggled.jpg

One major decider I think for me would be the question, do I have the time and space for another enclosure (and possibly 2 more buns) if it didn't work out?
Is there no way of trying the little boy with Gabriel without taking him on for definate? Though if you're anything like me you'd keep him whether it worked out or not :lol:

Back