• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

whats the latest spaying age?

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
i have took on a german (whom has been used for breeding :cry: ) aparently she is about 2 years old, but since she is only just bonded to panda i want to wait until there relationship is fully established.

so with this in mind what is the latest age they can be done at?

Eve x

I'm not too sure, but I was under the impression they can pretty much be done at any age.... obv though the older they get, the higher risk they are of not coming out of the anesthetic.

Hiya Mate :D !! There isn't really an upper age limit, although the older the doe the more of a complex op' it can be cos of all the age related fatty deposits etc. If I have a doe over the age of 3 I always request a chest x-ray and full blood profile BEFORE subjecting them to a spay. Uterine cancers tend to metastisise to the lungs/liver so I like to establish whether there is any indication of a 'problem' in these areas before putting the doe through surgery. Sadly U/C has often spread BEFORE any symptoms become evident. But I am sure a 2-2.5 year old doe will be fine to be spayed. Perhaps you could get her done early next year...?? Jane and Bunsxx

JCO said:
Hiya Mate :D !! There isn't really an upper age limit, although the older the doe the more of a complex op' it can be cos of all the age related fatty deposits etc. If I have a doe over the age of 3 I always request a chest x-ray and full blood profile BEFORE subjecting them to a spay. Uterine cancers tend to metastisise to the lungs/liver so I like to establish whether there is any indication of a 'problem' in these areas before putting the doe through surgery. Sadly U/C has often spread BEFORE any symptoms become evident. But I am sure a 2-2.5 year old doe will be fine to be spayed. Perhaps you could get her done early next year...?? Jane and Bunsxx

thanks jane thats what i was wirried about the fatty deposits i have heard of people saying that they wont spay now because of age, so wondered when it may become more risky!

thanks jane and chris!

We have often had 4 year old females neutered without any problem, do try and make sure that yours is not overweight to help reduce the retention of the anaesthetic.

ARC currently have an 8 year old bun who we descided that the risk of neutering was too great.

As Jane suggests get her over the winter, get her into good health and then perhaps get her neutered in the spring.

Janice

jrn1310 said:
We have often had 4 year old females neutered without any problem, do try and make sure that yours is not overweight to help reduce the retention of the anaesthetic.

ARC currently have an 8 year old bun who we descided that the risk of neutering was too great.

As Jane suggests get her over the winter, get her into good health and then perhaps get her neutered in the spring.

Janice

thanks janice as i said i would like to get there bond established first, but definately will do it next year (06) i am taking her to the vet on thrsday for jabs so i will see what condition they think she is in first!

does her havin had litters make any difference?

According to the Rabbit Welfare Association it doesn't make any difference whether she's had litters or not.
Our vet would agree that she sees just as many tumours in ex-breeding rabbits as those that have never bred.

donna-arc said:
According to the Rabbit Welfare Association it doesn't make any difference whether she's had litters or not.
Our vet would agree that she sees just as many tumours in ex-breeding rabbits as those that have never bred.

no i didnt mean that donna, i meant is tere any risk to does that have been breed from so not to wait to long!

Treacle was neutered less than a month after she had her litter, although she was only 11 months old, she came through fine and with no problems.

:D

bunsxmas.jpg

no i didnt mean that donna, i meant is tere any risk to does that have been breed from so not to wait to long![/quote]

Oops! :oops:

donna-arc said:
no i didnt mean that donna, i meant is tere any risk to does that have been breed from so not to wait to long!

Oops! :oops:[/quote]

i am not an iresponsible bunny owner i will have you know! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back