• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Contagious??

loulouembers

Warren Scout
Two weeks ago my Blue Rex had an upper resp infection, I got him to the vet and he is fine now but is staying inside for the winter as he has got used to the warmer area.
Last night my beautiful Rose looked awful when I went to feed her. In the morning, when they have dried mix, she seemed okay but hadnt drunk much the previous night.
I brought her in and called the vet. While I waited for him to call me back she died in my arms. I am v v v v v sad, see Rainbow Bridge.
My question - sorry to waffle is this:
:?: :?: Is this likely to have passed from one bun to the other? They live in the shed with the door open from 8am til 7pm. During the summer all the hutches are outside. I have 4 others in the shed and now have the panic they may get it.
My boy, who is okay had no discharge from his nose just wheezing. Rose had no nasal discharge but was holding her neck right up so her ears were touching her back and she was breathing v hard.

Oh I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like the bun had pneumonia too. It is likely that the bacteria involved is either Pasteurella or Bordetalla bronchoseptica. They are both infectious. Perhaps you could get your vet to check the other buns over, have a listen to their chest etc. Hopefully if any of the others are infected then prompt antibiotic treatment will prevent full blown pneumonia developing. Given the recent 'history' of your buns your vet may feel a prophylactic course of antibiotics is the appropriate course of action even if they are 'clinically well'. Again, so sorry for your loss. Jane and Bunsxx

Im so sorry to hear that. sounds like pasturela, most rabbits as you know can tolerate it up to a point ,but there are those that it will do great damage to. Having her head right back ment she couldnt breath. :) It does happen sometimes that it will kill, but if theres no sighns then you carnt be blamed for not knowing. I think that anything like this should be presumed to be contageous untill told other wise. val :(

hi

sorry to hear that - must have been awful to see her die like that, and sounds like pneumonia from an untreated chest infection, maybe pasteurella, maybe some other bug - Are any of the other rabbits wheezy or snotty at all? Sometimes they wipe the snot onto their front paws so look fine - Many rabbits carry pasteurella but don't get sick - it's all down to their individual lifestyle and immune system.

loulouembers said:
None of the others are snotty, we get the occasional sneeze but nothing else. I am checking v v carefully each day
If I were you I'd get all buns checked by your vet. Sometimes an acute Pasteurellosis DOES NOT present with a 'snotty nose' cos the infection is located in the lungs RESULTING IN PNEUMONIA. So you can have a seemingly 'well' bun with maybe the occasional sneeze but no nasal discharge who rapidly becomes very poorly with dyspnoea (difficulty in breathing).This is obviously very serious. Your vet can ausculate your buns chest (listen to their lungs) and ascertain if they have any signs of reduced air entry which could indicate a problem. Again, I really would urge you to get your buns vet checked ASAP just to be on the safe side. Jane and Bunsxx

Hi,

Yes I agree, you must take them to the vets, I have just lost one of my bunnies who had the same symptoms as yours holding his head up etc.

He was not making any breathing noises and until he started to hold his head up I had no idea that there was anything wrong. If I had picked this up earlier I may have been able to save him. So take them all and get them check out with a stethescope (sp) only then will you know if they have a chest infection for sure.

I have another old one that gets it and she always crackles like a crisp packet but my other one never made any noise as I said and was still eating until he started to hold his head up.

Best wishes

Maureen

I lost Gizmo in September (he was a house Bun) to a very severe Upper Respitory infection and he had clear nasel and mouth discharge, however his partner Pepper didn't get it because when we found Gizmo dead (he had died in the night) I took Pepper with me to the vets when I took Gizmo for cremation. The vet said just to keep an eye on her and any changes what so ever then just take her straight back. Pepper had caught anything off him. Sadly we lost Pepper nearly 3 weeks ago to U/C . Why don't you ring your vets and see what they say, they will probably tell you to keep an eye on them.
Good luck with your buns and I am so sorry for your loss.
Thinking of you
Kayxx

Back