• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Whats wrong with Harvey?

Vicki

Alpha Buck
Hi, im quite worried about my lil boy, he is now 3 1/2 months old, yesterday when i uncovered him he didnt seem his normal self i.e. jumping all ova me and running up to me for cuddles. He just sat in the corner which isnt where he normally sits and didnt seem to move a lot. I changed his litter tray at about 3.00pm and checked it at 6 andhe had done no poos nothing, thats not normal for him! He has been eating his hay but not the same amount as usual hes still drinking, but again not quite as much. So last night i gave him some greens and he eat them straight away, and we were out for the night to see a show, (which i didnt want to go to now!) We didnt get back till late about 1 in the morning, i went straight to see him and he had done loads of poos in his tray, relief! But then i came down this morning to him again and he dont seem his normal self again, i thought maybe he could be constipated. Today i changed his litter tray at about 4.30 and he still hasnt christened it yet, which isnt right for him! Whenever i open up his hutch he normally bounds over and is all over me, he just sits in the corner looking at me, he will allow me to stroke him for a little while beofre hoping of! This just isnt him and im really worried!
Does it sound like he could be constipated? Or maybe is he at an age where his hormones are kicking in and this is changing him? Or something else? Im really worried as this so isnt him!
Does anyone have any adive on what it could possibly be please?!
Sorry for it being a long post but im so worried and really want to no what is wrong with him! :(
Thank you for taking time to read this for me, and if you have any ideas please let me no :(
Thanks

Sounds like he might be in the starting stages of stasis. I am no expert, but it sounds like he might need a trip to the vet, to get some drugs to get his tummy moving a bit better. The sooner you treat it, the easier it is to treat.

Sorry I can't be of more help - if no-one else replies, try a search on the forum for stasis to see what you come up with.

Hi thanks for your reply, ill give that a search now, ive just checked his tray, and he has done some 'normal' poo's now! But its not like him to leave it this amount of time before doing any!

hi vikki

there seeems to be something doing the rounds at the moment as I have had a few come down with bloat if they are caught early they will recover but if not then there is little hope for them Some of this seems to be down to bad breeding as well
#It would't do any harm to put some pro biotics in his water if you have any
Elaine

I must say now he is eating normally pooing normally and binkying normally, it just seems to be with me that he isnt the same! He will come over for a 'little' fuss then hop away whereas normally he's all over me! Last night there were 3 big foxes in our garden but they didnt seem to go over to his hutch (whilst we were watching) he is completely covered up though, do you think he could smell they were there and maybe it has scared him a bit? We do have 3 dogs so he is used to hearing and seeing them, but i would think the foces would have a different scent? Do you think this may be any thing to do with it?!

Hi just thought i would let you all know, Harvey has gone back to being his usual self! Hes now pooing normally and binkying everywhere!lol :lol: I think he must of just beein a bit constipated. Worry over! :D

bunnymadhouse said:
realy pleased to hear hes ok . maybe he sensed danger from the foxes and caused him to act a little strange .

Angie

Yep, I agree! At least he is ok now! I know that when Sophie sees a cat through the window (shes a housebun) she goes mental! She goes all stiff and petrified. So, I think that could have been what was wrong if he is fine now!! :D

Hi thanks! Its nice to no we're not on our own when we have our little probs! He is back to normal now bless him! He's my first every bunny and is so affectionate! I never thought that he would be this affectionate like if i lean into his hutch hes on my shoulders! He even rubs his nose in my face and has licked my cheek! I love him sooooo much!

Vicki said:
Hi thanks! Its nice to no we're not on our own when we have our little probs! He is back to normal now bless him! He's my first every bunny and is so affectionate! I never thought that he would be this affectionate like if i lean into his hutch hes on my shoulders! He even rubs his nose in my face and has licked my cheek! I love him sooooo much!

Aww! Sophie is the same! :love: I was v poorly yesterday and I was lying on the floor using a blanket as a pillow... she sat with her nose to mine, head and one paw on the blanket!!!!! :love: :love: As if to say... awww poor mommy!!!!!!! :D

Aww bless her! I really do think they can tell when we're not feeling right just like we can tell when their not feeling right! Clever little things they are!

Back