• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New Rabbit (becky the bunny)DWARF LOP

trav2004

New Kit
HI

well we have just had a new baby rabbit

Her name is Becky and shes a dwarf lop very cute

was just wondering on what the amount of feed we should be giving her each day,we have at the moment been feeding her on Pets at Home
junior and dwarf rabbit nuggets.about 20gm (is this too much/not enough)
and also fresh hay each day..

also when to start introducing fresh veg etc

she seems to go mad for the nuggets when we put them in

ty

Hi
How old is your bunny? What was she eating when you got her? You should continue to feed her the same. I think baby rabbits need unlimited pellets but im not sure how old it is when you should cut back... im sure someone who has had baby rabbits will know the answer for you.

I think it's unlimited pellets until 6/7 months old.It's always best to start with whatever feed they are used to as buns have very delicate tums :wink: But if you have changed the food i don't think it would be worth changing back as this could upset her stomach more.

You can start introducing vegetables into your rabbits diet at around 12 weeks, very gradually, with small pieces of just one vegetable at a time.

Make sure your little one also has unlimited hay, you can feed alfalfa hay to rabbits up until around 6 months old to aid healthy growth. Then switch to timothy hay or meadow hay, something less rich..

Good luck with your little one

hi ty everyone for response

she is now 13 weeks old

and we have stook to what she had been fed in pet shop

she seems to like it cause heads straight in bowl when we fill it up

so is this right just top her bowl, up when its empty unlimited food

dont want her to get like a barrell

she has plenty of hay too

my baby has a unlimted suply of food and hey and becausr she is so thin she has poridge oats at bed time too i shall keep this up untill shes 6 mounths old

Rexy bexy said:
just to say love the name :D
i

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congratualtions on getting a bunny

You should keep her bowl filled up and she can eat as much as she likes while she is growing ... its usually around six months when you have to limit the pellets.

Don't forget to make sure she has lots of hay to eat all the time as this is really good for her.

If you introduce any veg or fruit to her you must only give her a tiny piece and introduce one at a time so you know if anything upsets her tum... her poo should be hard and round :D

And remeber that most fruits are high in sugar and not good in large ammounts same goes for carrots they are high in sugar too .... I only give my adult buns an inch of carrot a day :wink:

I got my bunny, candy from pets at home back in July this year and was given the same advice as you about feeding her, give her about 5 tablespoons of the P@H pellets for juniour/dwarf rabbits. I did this for a couple of week before I found this site where I was advised that I should feed her more. I did, stright away, full bowls everyday, what she hadn't eaten (which was never much) was thrown away and a new bowl each day, loads of hay, the timothy hay that they told me I must get for her to eat is now (out of choice by my bunny), only used to wee on, saves me a fortune in petrol and hay costs.
I started her on veg at about 3mths, carrots she can take or leave (I know, bunnys love carrots but not mine), cabbage and cucumber are favs, cucumber when shes hot and too busy running around to jump into her cage for a drink, she whips a piece of cucumber and races off with it but to be totally honest anything she can pinch to eat she will and has done since she was about 3mths.
I felt really stupid one night when whilst I was eating my tea (at the table, I have to say), the window cleaner arrived and needed to be paid, after getting the money from my purse and heading back to the door I spotted candy racing upstairs with a chip in her mouth and gave chase (wasn't sure fried food was that good for bunnys), there was no way she was giving up this chip and I got a nip, then a bite then a full on grip, back leg kick and chew when I tried to get it off her, she wasn't going to give it up and I'm sorry I wasnt brave enough to try any harder... all this was whitmessed by my windowcleaner, through my glass door, boy did I feel silly.
But back to your original post, I think pets at home, think they are giving good advice but in fact the best place to get advice from is here, my bunny now is much happier, fatter and cheekier and I now know I am able to give her treats, as long as it is just that, a treat.... Ooo mummy, english toastie muffins, my fav.... yum yum.. and I'm sure I would like that chocolate cake if only you would give me a bit...lol
Your love and hugs and kisses and cuddles work wonders, with a big bowl of food lots of hay and water and a careful eye if they've pinched something new seem to be working for me, but watch this space.

Karen Amy and candy at the Mad House

Hi
Thankyou everyone for your advice

And all has been taken on board

will post a pic when i get time to get batterys charged for camera

thankyou

Back