• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbits in pet shop with myxi

ah144

Warren Scout
I went to a local garden centre at the weekend that have just started to sell animals :cry: :cry: 1 of the buns looked poorly,could hardly open his eyes,i voiced my concerns to the assistant who stated he was alright this morning prob got a bit of sawdust in his eye,i said i felt it was more than sawdust to cause the way he looked and stated i felt he should go to the vet!!in a huff she swept the rabbit up and took him out the back muttering to herself.after leaving the store i could not stop thinking about this rabbit so phoned and asked to speak to the manager who i aired my concerns to and asked if i could be informed of this bunsters health after visiting the vet as i wanted to buy him(i did'nt i just wanted to make sure he had recieved treatment) :oops: :oops: is that naughty?...anyway,recieved a phone call from the pets manager today who stated the bunny sadly had to be put down as it was myxi!!!!!!!!3 others had to be pts aswell and the others are out the back of the shop in quarintine for 10 days to see if they develop it he stated they had all been vacinated against it now.

that's horrible.
Well done for voicing your concerns and getting something done.

It must have been really upsetting for you though. :(

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but by 'put down' they mean they probably rung its neck. Pet shops dont take animals to vets, they either 'dispose' of the sick ones themselves or send them back to the breaders who probably dispose of them in a similar fashion. Sick animals eat into profits. Pet shop breeders breed to make money, pet shops sell to make money.

I know the pet shop thing to be true as I rescued a budgie once from P at H who would have had a similar fate, they thought he had something called French Plume disease which means they never grow a full tail, they just have a stump. I took 'Stumpy' and his tail grew back eventually. He had been put in a large cage in the back of the shop with a variety of other breeds of sick birds, the pet shop tries to treat them using what they have in store but if they don't recover the Manager told me they kill them. Stumpy's tail feathers must have just have been plucked out in one of those over crowded budgie cages during a budgie fight.

You still did the right thing drawing it to their attention, at least it stopped suffering.

Sorry.

Rabswood

:cry: :cry: :cry: Poor bunnies :cry: :cry: :cry:
I hope that the store also realises that it can't take any more buns in for a good while. And I also hope that the breeder that supplied these buns rots in hell :evil:

i enquired as to their veterinary treatment and the manager stated he had an unlimited budget for veterinary care.i asked if they would be changing breeder and he said no as the vets said it is passed through fleas.he also states they will be burning the bedding and little hutch shelf things that were in the pens

B***** Hell. You could also inform the local council's environmental health department. All Pet Shops/Garden Centres have to be licensed by the council to sell small animals. It is environmental health who deal with the licensing. If only ALL Pet Shops could be banned from selling live animals..... JCO

ok i will do that tom this is a nationwide garden centre that has just started to sell animals.

I work in a pet shop and when ever we have a poorly animal it goes straight to the vets,in our shop we would never ring an animals neck.Some of us that work in pet shops are actually animal lovers.

rabswood said:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but by 'put down' they mean they probably rung its neck. Pet shops dont take animals to vets, they either 'dispose' of the sick ones themselves or send them back to the breaders who probably dispose of them in a similar fashion. Sick animals eat into profits. Pet shop breeders breed to make money, pet shops sell to make money.

Please do not tar all petshops with the same brush. I've worked in two petshops that sell animals and have seen many animals taken to the vet.
The first petshop got several hamsters in with worms, yet rather than send them back to the 'supplier', we took them to the vet and got them treated. We had a hamster that had mallocluded teeth, and took him to the vet when necessary to have his teeth trimmed, and made sure the new owner was aware of this.
The second petshop has paid fortunes for treatment - again, the pets that came to us ill could have been returned but we took them to the vet and paid for the treatment. We've taken animals back even past our 7 day "guarantee" and paid for their treatment. Terminally ill animals have been taken to the vet to be put to sleep humanely, again at our own cost.
Yes, you get some terrible petshops that do as you say, but please do not stereotype all petshops.

pet shop

The pet shop where i go also takes their sick animals to the vets :) any bunnies that get past their "sell by" date are sent to a woman who has a rescue & are re-homed through her so none are killed :)

We take buns to the vets as well, we had a little lass operated on because she'd done something to her eye, then we found her a caring home

Back