• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rice in digging box?

AbbysMom

New Kit
I wanted to make my girl a digging box and was trying to think of a safe alternative for her. I was wondering if I could use uncooked rice? Its would be non-toxic so I believe it would be safe. Any comments on this idea?

Thanks everyone!

Good Point, I wouldn't have thought it would be suitable due to the small size of the grains, I could be wrong though :?

Shredded paper is good for them :D

I am not sure if rice grains are eaten if will swell in a rabbits stomach which probably won't be good for them.

Janice

I have just bought some organic compost from homebase (£3.99) and put it in an under bed plastic storage box which I then left in the shed for a few days to dry out before adding some bird sand to it.

Rabswood

How would kiddie play sand be then? I can buy that locally. I just thought it might be hard on her little eyes if she were kicking it around. I don't want to add dirt because I don't want my pretty white bunny dirty, AND, I really don't want dirt inside my house.

id go for gravel or pebbles . wouldnt get in eyes like sand . i wouldnt risk rice its harmful to birds if they eat it raw as it swells and causes a blockage so would prob do the same in rabbits .

Back