• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

teeth

bobsmom

Young Bun
i'm seeing all the posts on here about teeth and have a general question.

i've had bob for 10 months now. i feel bad about having waited this long, but i have an appointment in 2 weeks to take him to the vet to have him neutered.

but i wonder this. how do i know if his teeth are getting too long? what are the problems i can look for if they are getting too long or unhealthy? is there generally a ratio or measurement, or what does one look for? he always has timothy and things to chew on, so there is ample opportunity to get them ground down naturally, but as a rule of thumb what should i be looking for?

While he is under anaesthetic for his neuter ask the vet to check his teeth for you - simplest way and while he is under the vet can get a really good look!

Make sure the vet understands that he must ring you and get permission before carrying out any remedial work - e.g. he finds molar spurs he has to get your permission before filing them unless you give him permission in advance.

You can check your bunny's front teeth yourself by lifting their upper and lower lips and checking that the wear is even (straight across) and the teeth are meeting properly (i.e. the top teeth aren't curling under or out to the sides). But to check the back teeth you would need the vet and even with the correct tools most vets agree you can't get a good look without putting the rabbits under!

Caz

bobsmom said:
but i wonder this. how do i know if his teeth are getting too long? what are the problems i can look for if they are getting too long or unhealthy? is there generally a ratio or measurement, or what does one look for? he always has timothy and things to chew on, so there is ample opportunity to get them ground down naturally, but as a rule of thumb what should i be looking for?

If he's chewing timothy hay and that he should be fine. The causes of back teeth problem are either diet-related (e.g. no hay, a mix diet, lots of soft treats, etc., things that don't encourage that side-to-side chewing that wears down the teeth), or genetics, i.e. it was born that way, in which case a good diet will help but is not always a cure, as it's usually because their teeth aren't quite aligned and aren't wearing down right.
I'd just get the vet to check while he's under, but remember if he does have problems it's not the end of the world. With a careful diet and close monitoring he should be fine, unless the problems are very severe (e.g. root problems). My Nethie has had molar problems for a couple of years but is still going strong!

/

checking while he's under is the only way to be sure about back teeth. One of mine, Thistle, has to have her teeth filed every 3 months. She is the only one of my buns that WILL NOT eat hay!

my vet at abbey can check buns back teeth without putting them under. a good vet should be able to do this. they use a special tool with a light similar to what doctors use for looking in ears. my vet puts her finger in too to check how smooth they are.
Brave lady :shock: bet she wouldnt do that with Arthur though :twisted:

/

Yep I guess you could do that with some buns...My Shady will let you do anything to him..but Thistle and Daisy..now that would be a challenge! :shock:

Back