• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sorry but i am confused!

suzy_d

Alpha Buck
hey guys sorry to be really thick but i was just wondering what infracol is?and probiotic is it the same thing and what is it used for? and do you give it to your rabbits when they are poorly??

sorry but i am really confused!! thanks!

Infacol is a baby colic mixture and used to treat the early signs of bloat/stasis, it can often help release trapped wind and prevent stasis attacks from developing (along with a massage etc).

NB: If you think your rabbit may be suffering from stasis please take it to a vet immediately this is a serious life-threatening condition only experienced caregivers should try and treat attacks as only with experience can you recognise the early warning symptoms before it develops into full-blown stasis

Probiotics are "friendly bacteria" usually in a dried powder form either sprinkled over food or mixed in with their water. They bring the level of good bacteria up in the gut preventing the bad stasis-causing bacteria from multiplying (by crowding out using up available resources).

Caz

I tend to use it when they are ill or on antibiotics. Zeus had it for ages in his water as he kept getting ill. A lot of people use it all the time but I have found Zeus is fine now without using it constantly.

Caz

Squidgy gets probiotic if his poos are sticky. Since he's been on excel pellets though he's been fine.

Do you have to get a probiotic from the vet or can you use the one you use for humans from a health store?

Jane

I'm not sure about that. My vets only gave me a few sachets, which are quite expensive, so I got a big tub an online store (for animals!)

I buy from Vetark - good price and quick delivery.

http://www.noahs-cupboard.co.uk/

Found this through google:

Unlike probiotics, which are living microorganisms, prebiotics are indigestible carbohydrates. These prebiotics stimulate the growth and activity of beneficial bacteria of the intestinal flora.

Caz

Back