• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

she's not eating...

bubble

Young Bun
Yesterday, I put some dandelion leaves into the hutch, and she ignored them (they were still there this morning).

Normally, Fistral dives for them and eats them up straight away, but she is very uninterested at the moment, and seems to go straight for the few pellets i put in the bottom of the bowl.

Any ideas why she has suddenly gone off dandelions?

Also, she is starting to grind her teeth. Is this normal?

Thanks

Liz

So, she's still eating something? That's the main thing :D
It depends on how she's grinding her teeth. Squidgy does it sometimes when he's happy, but it's only a very soft, purry type sound. If it's loud and cracky, probably means she's in pain.
Possibly a trip to the vet, check her teeth. She may not be eating because it hurts her. Other than that, if she's still eating and pooing normally, I don't know I'm afraid.
Let us know how she gets on.

Yes, rabbits sometimes grind their teeth in happyness, but that is quiet and calm.

This sounds louder, and together with the fact that she does not eat some of the foods she loves, indicates a dental problem. Take her to the vet!

Vera

dunno whats going on... she's eating a little bit of carrot at the moment, and seems to be enjoying it!!!

i think the grinding her teeth is definitely a soft noise...

she's been licking my nose as i lay on the floor with her, so she can't hate me at least!!! (i'm guessing this is a good thing!)

The key here is when does she grind her teeth? Is it mainly when you are petting her or she has just been given some of her favourite food or does it coincide with a hunched posture and refusal of all food?

Caz

hi

maybe it's just a cat peed on the dandelions - that happened with me once - I couldn't smell it but they could - and it made their carpet stink! :?

I have found with the majority of buns that need dentals that they go off their softer foods (ie, dandies, greens etc) and eat harder foods like carrot and pellets.
I would take her for a check up at the vets, sounds like it could be dental problems to me :?

Back