• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why is she doing this?

bubble

Young Bun
We've just got a new lionhead female (fistral), but there are a few things that concern me. Can anyone help?

1. She is chewing on the newspaper I've been laying down when she is in the house.

2. She is eating alot (3 small bowls of food a day, at least)

3. She is shivering

Also, what is the best way to bond with our new arrival? We are trying to get to know her by letting her run around the floor and visit us at her own will, and we have tried talking to her softly, but she still freezes when we come close sometimes... is there a set way to bond?

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks loads

Bubble

hi
How old is your new rabbit? what food are you feeding her?
Firstly it is quite normal for rabbits to chew/rip/destroy newspaper.. they just like to dig and rip things.. mine do the same thing.
Are you sure she is shivering and not just breathing? my Nala sometimes looks like she is shivering but its because she is breathing and i think a bit nervous at the time.

thanks, will let her chew!! She is on pellets (rabbit specific) and fresh carrot and cucumber... she has new water each morning.

i think she is just nervous around us still. I've no idea how old she is, a few months i think.

She is having her first trip to the vets tomorrow for her innoculations... is it best to keep her indoors that night to make sure she is ok?

thanks

bubble...

If she is used to living outside then im sure she will be just fine after her jab. Mine werent really any different.. maybe a little quieter for a few hours after but otherwise ok.
Does she have plenty of hay to eat aswell? If she is full grown and not a baby then you need to limit her pellets to a small amount each day. It depends how big she is.. maybe you can get her weighed when u are at the vets. Usually it is around 50g a day of pellets but it usually gives you a guide on the bags of pellets. Mine get quite a bit less to encourage them to eat more hay which is better for them.

yep, there is plenty of hay, and we give her fresh each night before bed... i am going to get her weighed etc at the vets, also going to ask about whether she may be pregnant (as she was inj a cage with 2 males).

Fistral is now snuggled up on my lap (though she is still breathing very fast!!)

Also, i have started litter training her to allow her a free run in the house, but its not really working at the mo. any tips?

hi,

Not sure if you should give them cucumber, never have myself. If she is young I would hold off giving her anything other than pellets and hay until she is a bit older.

I think if you check this site you will find a list of vegetable etc you can give, check before you give you rabbit anything to be sure it is ok

Welcome to the rabbit world :lol: :lol:

Maureen

thanks will check the info on food now...

she's playing hide and seek with me at the minute... I think she knows we are taking her to the V-E-T tonight...

B

Back