• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bathing Gabriel

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
well i was back at the vets with Gabriel yesterday. he was given his second injection of panamec, but because of the way his skin is(dry scaly patches) my vet wants me to bathe him with Seleen shampoo to see if it will help. she has said that if his skin hasnt improved by the time i go back(2 weeks) she will do a skin scraping to see exactly what the problem is.

the thing is-i need tips on how to bathe him! :shock: my old rabbit, Minky needed her bottom bathed every now and again towards the end, but that was about it and that was over 5 years ago! i have bathed my rats and the pigs, but not sure if there is a different technique to bathing rabbits? im assuming you have to avoid the face area, but one of the dry patches is right under his ear :?

im also pretty sure his nails need clipping as they seem quite sharp when im holding him-is there any tips for this? again i have clipped rats nails, and a few days ago done the pigs nails with no problems but something tells me that Gabriel isnt going to be such a good boy when it comes to clipping his nails :?

any advice much appreciated!

Ive never bathed a rabbit before either, only their bottom occasionally. I would say to put a towel or something on the bottom of the bath/sink so that they dont slide around as that may reduce their stress.

If he doesnt let you do his nails you could try wrapping him up in a blanket/towel while you turn him upside down as this may help him to relax so that you can cut his nails. I find mine are easier if they are laid on their backs rather than standing up.

thanks for the tips! although im not sure how well lying him on his back will go, as the vet was trying to do this yesterday with him to check him over but he just kept trying to flick back around :shock: although saying that he has let me cradle him a couple of times :D

Your gonna have fun! I've had to do this before. Expect to get very wet and don't do it somewhere that you don't want getting wet. The water will be transfered several feet acrooss the floor and up the walls.

If there are two of you have one holding the bun and one doing the shampoo. I put the backfeet in the water and a hand under the chest and one to hold the bum down. If you can keep gentle pressure on the bum they can't lift up enough to kickout backwards.

I use a washing up bowl on the floor but you could use a sink. The bath is to deep to securely hold the bun easily. If you have two bowls fill both, one for the shampooing and one for the rince. A cup to lift & pour water is handy too.

Goodluck!
Tamsin

Back