• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How often should you brush lionheads??

Caits

Young Bun
My friend just got a new lionhead... It's her first rabbit and so she has asked me for advice on how to look after it but the only thing I cant help her with his how often you should brush lionhead, as I have never had a lionhead.

Any other tips that only apply to lionheads would also be appreciated ! :wink:

It depends how fluffy it is, lionheads can very from a few tufts around the ears to fluff all over. If it's really fluffy then daily if it's tufty you might find once a week of so is fine :D

Tam

Ive got a very fluffy lionhead who needs regular brushing as her fur is very fine and whispy and gets mated easily with straw and hay so I do her probably once every other day, Or inbetween if i notice a mat, my other lionhead is more tufty round the head only and I brush him about once a week or in between if i notice he needs it.

Lionheads are prone to teeth problems so make sure she keeps an eye on this as the in breeding to get the breed (if that makes sence) as produced rabbits with small heads and the teeth often dont line up properly leading to becoming overgrown and spurs. Both my Lionheads have misaligned teeth (molars)

I've got a lion head with only a little bit of fuzz and she doesn't need brushing at all!

thanks this is a really fluffy liionhead so obviously it will need brushing every/every other day

You might find as it grows up it gets less fluffy and then needs doing less often. There are some tips here on grooming: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/longhair.asp

It's really important you get the brush all the way through the fur and not just the surface, otherwise you get matts underneath even though the surface lots okay.

Tam

Your friend should make sure she doesn't keep her bunny on wood shavings, as with fluffy buns they work their way into their coat and cause matting.

Hi i have two fuzzy lionheads. Simba's fluff is very soft and cotton wool-like so gets knotted very easily. I comb him every day. Nala however has much coarser fuzz which rarely knots so i only comb her about once a week at the moment.
I use a cat flea comb and another comb which is similar but every other tooth is longer so that you can get deeper into thick fur which i use for Nala's coarse fuzz. When Simba was younger his worst areas were just above his tail and under his front legs(armpit area) and around his bottom. All the areas you cant reall see. Your friend will need to ensure she combs these areas thoroughly and she will soon work out how often she needs to comb her rabbit and if there are any problem areas.

As Nix says tell your friend not to use shavings... i did to begin with but i soon learnt that was not a good idea!! I tried using hay/straw as bedding to begin with but now i use newspaper/vetbed and hay in a box with woodbased cat litter in their tray.

p.s. i think you should take some piccys of your friend's fuzzball!! :D

i hav 2 lionheads only 1 will let me brush it he only has a short mane and rarely gets tangled but the other has longer fur round the head and some on the body which needs 2 b brushed but she only lets me hold her 4 a short while so i hav 2 brush her really quik and her fur gets really knotty so i hav 2 do it at least 3 times a week or more.

wabbit2.jpg

here she/he is ... i think its a girl i tried to see last night but it is such a baby that its hard to tell
Nix Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:32 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your friend should make sure she doesn't keep her bunny on wood shavings, as with fluffy buns they work their way into their coat and cause matting.

is it ok to use cat litter in her litter tray then or what should she use

omg its adorable!! wish i was in surrey so i could come give your friend a hand (any excuse to cuddle fluffies) :lol: :lol:

Back