• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Buster has tear duct problems, it continues 8-(

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Buster, had a GA yesterday so my vet could flush his tear ducts properly as there have been problems whith him.

Anyway, I spoke to her last night when I went to collect him and she said the inflammation had completely gone so they could go ahead with the flush. She said when she started it the left eye in particular was quite bad and a lot of whiteish cream came out, I know about this because I'm constantly cleaning his eyes of it.

When they tried to flush the eye through basically nothing comes out the other side, it's as if there isn't an exit to the tear duct and all his cheek just filled up with the fluid and it had to come out the way it went in. She said it was going to be an on going problem and the poor bloke will be on eye drops for the rest of his days. He's got to go back in, in two weeks for another cheek up. Has anyone heard of this before?

Aw the poor boy! :(
I've never heard of that before, but I hope they can find an alternative treatment to drops all the time. It doesn't really clear up much with the drops.
My Blossom has occassional runny eyes, but the drops clear that up... but some of the ones in rescue, even with duct flushing still have the puffy eyes. :(

Oh it's such a shame for bunnies they always have eye problems.

To be fair Busters eye aren't like they were, I will have to take a picture of them tonight, they were in a terrible mess when he first came and other then a bit of sludge (which I keep cleaning up) they look faily normal, but it's a case of not letting infection set in, so it's constent eye baths and drops. I wonder if it's a result of interbreeding or something and they just have't formed properly. :(

It could be that... I think that about Blossom.... she doesn't appear to have a third eyelid in either eye... They were a 'defective litter' as Celia puts it and alot of the kits had problems so it's not unlikely.
Good luck with all the bathing and drops... I hope that something can be done about it and he feels better today after his 'snip'. :D

ha ha after a few hours of sulking, he was demanding his cuddles again, so I think he's getting back to normal. :D Poor lad, he had his Myx jab, his eyes flushed, his balls off and his nails clipped, bet he was right miffed when he came round :lol:

Hiya Tree! Lilly has half a tear duct! It has unfortunatly left her with pasturella and she get secondry conjunctivitis infections in it but she has eye dropd for it and occasionally baytril but other wise she is fine. She has to have it flushed on occasion but only had it done once so far, my vet has said that she will only need it flushing when it gums up for more than two days, which it never does cause it gets clean every day!! XX

Hopefully Byster wont develop pasteurella, I did worry for ages that was what it was, but Mel my vet assures me he doesn't have it. I think because it's block infection develops realy easy in it.

I think Lilly's may be genetic. Her dad had really bad pasturella, and having half a tear duct hasn't helped her!

Hi,

My Harvey has a similar problem. We got him from the pet shop because he looked really ill and his eyes were streaming. We took him straight to the vet.

He had an infection in both eyes and on his chest. When this cleared up they tried to flush out his tear ducks. It turns out they are blocked and will never work. This means that everytime he blinks the cleaning fluid has no where to go but onto his check. Its not bad for him and as long as he don't get another infection we have no worries or vet visits.

His eyes always look runny and he has wet patches underneath. He cleans it well himself (and we try if it gets really bad) but we are trying to get him bonded so the other rabbit can help.

My Mama Rabbit has permanently runny eyes. The vet has put drops in them and examined them under florescent lights and been surprised when the fluid came out of her mouth rather than her nose :? There is clearly an abnormality there. Luckily none of her offspring have inherited it.

Occasionally she needs anti-biotic drops when the discharge goes white, but the rest of the time her companions clean her up beautifully. I think that is the best thing you can do for a rabbit with bad eyes - get them an attentive companion. I call Thuthu Nursey Nursey Bunny as she takes such good care of her mother :D Blackberry helps too.

:lol: I have been thinking about a friend for Buster, but I need to get him set up in his huch first.

Thanks for the help guys

hi

i did my work experience at a vets n a rabbit came in with this problem.
we had 2 syringe its tear duct with this flush stuff n it took absoulutley ages, but in the end it did start to clear n all the blocked up stuff came out of its nose, maybe your vet hasnt tried flushing it enough cuz on this rabbit it took about 6 syringe fulls of flush to clean it out!

what vets do u go 2, cuz i also live in the west midlands!

Back