• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

BAYTRIL??

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
hi there i have a couple of questions, tansy has been sneezing (on and off) for the last couple of days so today i took her to the vets for a check, he said the could not see any postruction to the nose, her eyes are clear and chest clear?

so he has put her on baytril and told me to put it in her water also shared by her three other bonded companions! so to treat them all!

i am wondering is this normal practise to put them on baytril for sneezing as a precaution? he also said they can suffer from mild hayfever! :shock: anyone heard of that?

but do you think it would be better to give it orally because most water bottles leak?

eve x

You will be quiet safe giving the baytril to all three, it has been comon practice to treat a whole family of buns when one has unexplained sneezes. I wouldn't worry to much about the bottle leaking as you are unlikely to loose much of the baytril. XX

Phill said:
You will be quiet safe giving the baytril to all three, it has been comon practice to treat a whole family of buns when one has unexplained sneezes. I wouldn't worry to much about the bottle leaking as you are unlikely to loose much of the baytril. XX

thanks phil!!!

but is great
Phill said:
Your most welcome eve XX Hows hagrid getting on? Has he put on some more weight yet??

scary really, he has had a growth spur and is catching up with hermione which i did not think i would see! :shock: :D :D :D he is 4kg and she is 4.9kg so he getting there considering at 9 weeks he was 0.90kg and fighting for his life!

but i have a confession to make, last night they both got out of the runs whilst we were asleep (just jumped straight out of them 3 foot high! :shock: so i am praying to good she is not pregnant (fingers crossed) because i definity havent got the room for more and he is her brother and she is too young!

but the bloody vets said oh you will be able to sell them easily! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: he knows what i do which makes it more insulting!

eve x

Oh eve lets hope nothing happens Xx But great that he has put on all that weight he must be looking like a proper giant now XX

Phill said:
Oh eve lets hope nothing happens Xx But great that he has put on all that weight he must be looking like a proper giant now XX

fingers crossed, they are great, he is really hansome!thaey both are!
how are you bearing up love!

Im fine i feel lots better today i actually got sleep last night and we've gone a full 2 days with no other deaths so it's looking hopefull!

Glad to hear it Phill. I always wonder how Baytril in water works as you change water daily and theres lots left!! I squirt it over food and they gobble it up

If she is pregnant I'd have one as I just love big bunnies, I keep saying I will get one then I get a phone call asking me to rescue more buns and I can't say no, I always say I'm not having any more and then another one comes along.

As regards baytril I have put it in water that is shared, were you told to keep it in the fridge as it takes the taste away apparently.

kayj said:
If she is pregnant I'd have one as I just love big bunnies, I keep saying I will get one then I get a phone call asking me to rescue more buns and I can't say no, I always say I'm not having any more and then another one comes along.

to be honest i hope she doesnt!!!! but will bear you in mind if she does.

As regards baytril I have put it in water that is shared, were you told to keep it in the fridge as it takes the taste away apparently.

was never told how to store baytril!

not trying to be funny, but why havent ur runs got covers over them? i think u need a new vet as urs dosent seem to be that good.I think i would give them the batril by mouth as different rabbits drink different amounts of water and if u chane the bottle before its empty u are wasting batril. To be honest i carnt see the point in treating with batril just for sneezing, they may well have pasterella but its not usual to treat until they have a bad episode when they rearly need it. i have never heard of a rabbit that has hay fever, its usualy used by people as an excuse to cover up the fact that their rabbit has pasturrela.

I would have to agree with Val on this one. Baytril is useless when put in the water bottle as it is very unlikely your bunny would be getting the correct amount. Dose is 0.4ml per kg daily given orally. Is there any discharge coming from the nose? Bunnies can develop allergies (inparticular to the bedding) but it is more common to develop pasteurella, something that baytril doesnt usually shift. Your vet would have been better putting your bunnies on a course of Engemycin.

Cheryl

taylor v 109 said:
not trying to be funny, but why havent ur runs got covers over them? i think u need a new vet as urs dosent seem to be that good.I think i would give them the batril by mouth as different rabbits drink different amounts of water and if u chane the bottle before its empty u are wasting batril. To be honest i carnt see the point in treating with batril just for sneezing, they may well have pasterella but its not usual to treat until they have a bad episode when they rearly need it. i have never heard of a rabbit that has hay fever, its usualy used by people as an excuse to cover up the fact that their rabbit has pasturrela.

the reason they havent got any top oin there runs is because they are british giants and i have never seem indoor cages big enough, so i used the storage cubes and there is not enough to cover the whole of the top, and i cant find anywhere else to buy them!

as for the vet as i said in my orginal post she has no symptons other than the sneezing, and he said if it is pastella it can be cured if caught early and not left to get really bad! but i am not a vet and can only go on his option. he has been great with everything else i cant see why not with this!" are you a vet val?

eve

sgprescue said:
I would have to agree with Val on this one. Baytril is useless when put in the water bottle as it is very unlikely your bunny would be getting the correct amount. Dose is 0.4ml per kg daily given orally. Is there any discharge coming from the nose? Bunnies can develop allergies (inparticular to the bedding) but it is more common to develop pasteurella, something that baytril doesnt usually shift. Your vet would have been better putting your bunnies on a course of Engemycin.

Cheryl

what is engemycin?

Hi Eve

Pasturella although if caught early enough can be cured it usually isn't as by the time people get there buns to a vet it has to much of a hold. Baytril is the best antibiotic to use when the bun has sneezes of anykind as a precaution to pasturella, lilly has full blown pasturella but very mildly and she does get a course of baytril now and then which nocks it on the head unless she gets stressed by something. If you prefer you can give it to bun orally with a serynge at whatever dosage yore vet has said.

Love me!!! XXX

If you give you bun the dosage orally then put the same amount of water in the syrnge to that what my vets normally says. I had a bun with the sneezes and I was given baytril it is a general antibiotic for buns. I had one bun that had pasturella and we put her on a course of penicillin and it cleared it up. Buns can get sneezez from time to time so I wouldn't worry to much

bunnylove said:
taylor v 109 said:

the reason they havent got any top oin there runs is because they are british giants and i have never seem indoor cages big enough, so i used the storage cubes and there is not enough to cover the whole of the top, and i cant find anywhere else to buy them!

as for the vet as i said in my orginal post she has no symptons other than the sneezing, and he said if it is pastella it can be cured if caught early and not left to get really bad! but i am not a vet and can only go on his option. he has been great with everything else i cant see why not with this!" are you a vet val?

eve

Hiya eve
lilac and shadow live in one of the cube pens they kept jumping out so i pegged an old duvet cover to it to act as a lid!

bluebunny said:
bunnylove said:
taylor v 109 said:

eve

Hiya eve
lilac and shadow live in one of the cube pens they kept jumping out so i pegged an old duvet cover to it to act as a lid!

bluebunny thats a great idea thanks!!! i have a couple of grids left and normal put them on the front where there they can jump out, but last night i didnt do it because i wasnt feeling well and just feed them quick to go to bed! silly really but they are normally really good and i just needed to get rid of the migraine!

thanks eve x

Back