• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I'm off on Hol, but what about Charlie????

Sarah_Jane

Alpha Buck
I'm going on Holiday on Saturday for the week, and i'm really worried about leaving Charlie. I'm going to ask my mother in law to come in every 2days to feed and water him.

The thing that i'm worried about is that hes going to be stuck in his hutch for a week. I have a rabbit run in the garden which he goes in everyday for abit, but i really don't want my mother in law to pick him up and put him in there, as if he jumps down into my garden he wont come back again! :(

Am I being selfish?

He really needs checking daily. If the water bottle falls off or he becomes ill 2 days is a bit of a wait. Boarding might be a better option.

Tam

I think bunny boarding is the best idea - you will know he's safe and being looked after all the time - I dont think theyre too expensive - you'll have a better hol knowing he's ok :wink:

Don't mean to scare you but having got 3 bunnies of which 2 have had major bouts of statis, I'd be worried about leaving them with someone who's not bunny savvy for a week. I've seen first hand how quickly they deteriorate with statis and once Brody's symptoms were that she just did not seem like her normal bouncy self. I think in the warm weather as well, the litter tray will need cleaning at least once a day 'cos of flies. Having said that, I've left mine for just under a week with strict instructions to my neighbour on litter tray hygiene and what to look for regarding intake/output of food :wink: and have given her the contact number of a rabbit savvy friend to call on if needed.

Is there anyway you could take them up to your mother in law, if she wont come to yours everyday?

My mam and mother in law take turns, my mother in law on a morning and my mam on an afternoon (as they get fed twice a day).

What happens if your mother in law can't have them?
Whereabouts in MK are you?
I work in MK and if you are anywhere close, I could probably help out.

I would def consider boarding, you will have to ring round quickly as I expect most places are booked up at this time of year. I agree with what the others have said that he needs checking at least once if not twice a day as bunnies succumb very quickly to illness.

Hope you get everything sorted.

Nicola

There are usually some boarding places advertised on the board in Jollyes in the Westcroft Centre - may be worth a look.

Hiya Sarah and the lovely Charlie

There's loads of good help and advice here already and I can only ditto whats already said really.

Bunnies can be really fickle with their health so I would personally feel much happier if someone was keeping a daily eye on my bunny. Also bunnies are creatures of habbit - they get used to being fed at regular times so its important to try and keep feeding routines as normal as you possibly can.

Another good idea if you carn't get bunny savy help or boarding is to do a list of possible things to look for which you could give to your mum in law to ensure she knows what to look for if your bunny suddenly seems not his usual self together with a list of exactly how you feed your bunny with detailed amounts and veggie listing.

Hope this helps. :wink:

Wow, every 2 days? :? That is a long time inbetween someone checking up on your bun. I don't go away overnight without someone seeing to Sophie!

Everyone has given great advice, I would suggest too that bunny boarding may be a better option, however, if for whatever reason that wasn't an option for you, I would suggest doing what Kerri C suggested and maybe asking your mother in law to have you bun at her house.

You can never be too careful :D

Remember if flies strike they strike fast and how quickly someone discovers it makes a great difference to the outcome. 2 days is quite a gap! How would you make sure he had food and water? Mine eat their food as soon as they are given it even hay and need fresh water at least once a day if not twice!

hi

I see from your other thread that Charlie is only 8 weeks old!! There is no way a baby that young can be left alone for 2 days - even a day would be pushing it as they are very prone to dying (yes dying :shock: ) of stomach upsets at that age...If you can't find a boarding place at such short notice - which is likely as he's presumably not vaccinated yet at his age (they always insist on vaccinations) - your best bet would be to take up Towsbuns on her kind offer of help - Please don't leave baby Charlie!!

Aww thank you very much everyone for your help.

I really want to do bunny boarding now, so i rang my vet to see if they do it, but they don't and didn't know anywhere that can.

I've tried looking in the local Yellow Pages but i can't find anything!!! I've just searched on google too and i can't find anything.I'm getting really worried now.

I've got tomorrow off so i'll shall check out Jolly's- Thanks for that idea Towsbuns!!! :)

Your all too great!!!!xxx

Where are you going on holiday? Are you flying? If so there is a boarding place near Heathrow airport, critter sitters, so that would be fairly easy to get to on your way to and from the airports. another idea would be to ring any local rescue centres as they sometimes do boarding.

I can confirm that Annette at Rabbit Rescue does board - she has had mine before.
Can you confirm how old Charlie is - is he only 8 weeks old? If so, why on earth did you get a baby bun when you knew you were going on holiday.

If you are really stuck - please let me know.
I do feel that you should have thought about this before now and it was probably a bit stupid to get a baby bun so near to you going on holiday but I cannot sit here knowing that a baby bun is not being looked after so near to me. If nothing else works out then I would be happy to have him at my house for the week. I have a spare hutch and some runs in the garden that he could access to every day, my buns have Science Selective so I could even start to introduce him to that (as per previous thread).

Do you know anyopne else with a bunny who could do the honours while you are away?

I've just returned back from a four day break and My Mom, Carys/Birdiebun and Carys' Mom looked after my lot for me between them and even administered eye drops daily for me. When Carys goes away I will care for her bunny too, It's always best to know some bunny people.

Back