• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Buffy has mild statis (Turning point - I hope!)

bunnytales

Mama Doe
Heya Folks - Don't you just know when it turns out to be just "one of those weeks :!: :!: "

I popped Buffy to our Vets last night as I'd been a bit concerned about a couple of things but the main one being that shes been losing a little weight - down to 1.7kg from 2.00kg and her poos have gone really small and she's not passing very many.

Our Vet has examined her and her Tummy does feel doughy and you know when they just don't feel right :( - and confirmed that Buffy has a slowing down of her gut.

Buffs is now on Prepusid (luckily I have a supply which doesn't expire until next month) to get things moving and the Vets says if she doesn't respond to this during the next 48 hours there is an injectable option and she'll need to teach me how to administer this for her.

Generally she's reasonably bright in herself, eating and drinking well. She's also having Probiotic and babyfood and eating her vegetables - she's such a greedy gal :lol:

The only confused bit I have is that our Vet has suggested that I reduce the SS from a desert spoon to say a teaspoon full to try and get Buffy to eat more of her Hay to increase the fibre intake to encourage Gut Movement - but as she's loseing weight I'm worried about doing this as I really feel I need to keep her weight up too at the moment?

Any advice please guys and gals :?: - The Vet also mentioned I shouldn't try and introduce any new Veggies at the moment.

Poor Gal - she just seems so frail at the moment - mind you she did do 1/2 doz circles around me this morning after her breakfast - bless :)

Like Tree, sorry I dont have any advice, but sure someone will be along soon. Hope Buffy is feeling better soon. A friend of mine who has a lionhead called "Jasper" has had to take her bunny to the vets too with statis. He's got the runs and he has stopped eating etc. He's currently on Recovery sachets and he's had an injection to start his gut working again.

I hope Buffy gets better soon. Im not sure about the pellet thing. I know people say to only give a desert spoon of pellets to encourage hay etc to be eaten aswell, but not sure if it would affect her weight if you cut it down more. maybe you could try pming someone who might know like adele or jaypot who are used to caring for bunnies who are skinny or have tummy troubles.

Oh Lany, I sorry to hear the lovely Buffy's under the weather gal. I'm sure she'll be right as ninepence in no time. Mmmmmh not sure on the SS thing thou :? Sending Buffy lots of loves and snugglesxx Benji and Bluebell send some tooxx

Hiya Lany, oh poor Buffy and poor you, the frazzled bunny Mummy :(

I see where your vet is coming with this as the first thing is to get the gut working really efficiently then you can do the building up bit later.
Are you still giving the baby food twice a day? This is very good at adding fibre but also keeps the system moist unlike dried food which will slow things down again.
Hay is the key here as you know at the moment, but when things are sorted gut wise, then the odd trick of a small amount of oats , baby food and dried food to add weight.

I wonder if there may be a low key infection present as this goes hand in hand with weight loss and gut statis.
We looked at this before me thinks? :roll: :)

Bladder problems often cause weight loss and then the slowing down of the guts too, is Buffys urine okay? Is she drinking normally?
Has Buffy been treated for worms?

Just some ideas here, but hang on in there, as Buffy has been through this before and come out the other side..give her a snuggle from me.
Hugs to you too
XXX

Cheers Maties

I've decreased her SS very slightly tonight and given her some extra veggies and she's been outside for a run around but she seems to get worn out quite quickly at the mo as her energy levels seem quite low.

Adeleee - yep she still has her baby food twice daily and a few oats in with this and she seems to be drinking and her urine seems o.k, yep your probably thinking about low level EC re the infection - stands a chance I guess :roll:

She's had some more Prepusid this evening and the Vet says to give this 48 hours or so to do its job - if she's still not pooing by tomorrow I'll pop her back to the Vets on saturday morning and praps she'll prescribe some baytril to give her also.

Thanks for the kind messages I'll keep you posted.

Well Folks - My little Girls still being a real monkey at the moment :!:

Buffs has been on prepulsid now for 3 days and were still getting really small naff quality poos - Now come on Buffs play the game Gal :roll:

I've a funny feeling this might be teeth related - I been watching her like a hawk since Thursday and she really struggles to eat her hay - almost like she wants to eat but then she just chucks it around.

This morning she was absolutely starving at breakfast and she ate really slowly but managed to get through some baby food and small amount of SS pellets

Shes been outside twice today for a run round and she definately finds eating grass easier than Hay at the mo.

So I'm wondering if this could be causing her Gut Statis and the reason why her poos have reduced in quantity and quality as she's not able to get sufficient fibre from eating her Hay.

The other worrying thing is - well I'm not absolutely sure (being a typical paranoid Bunny Mum) but I thought I felt a small lump on her lower jaw :shock: - I haven't given her any Metacam yet as she doesn't seem to be in obvious pain (well as much as you can tell) - She was bright and alert this morning and keen for a run round the Garden so at least thats positive.

I've another Vets appointment on Monday Evening so I'll have a chat re my worries and get a Teeth Check done.

Meanwhile - Buffs is back on the Adele/Tams Winter Mash receipe for her tea tonight - not that I think she'll complain about that too much. :D

Wish us luck on Monday - I really hope I've imagined this lump and I'm wrong :(

Oh no :( I am so sorry things havent improved for Buffy, I have been sending positive vibes, but it sounds like she needs looking at a little closer.
I think her Mummy knows what is going on more than we do, your instinct about your own kiddies (thats includes bunny kiddies too :wink: :lol: ) is usually spot on.
It makes sense about what you have said about what Buffs is taking in and what is coming out... :roll: :!:
It could be possible that she has a swollen gum from a tooth that needs a bit of attention, or an infection from a piece of hay that stabbed inside of her mouth...this is quite common, but can be treated so hang on in there, and I am sure your Vet will get on top of things soon.
If it is an infection, then Echnicacea in addition to the antibiotics is good, but we can discuss this after you have spoken to the vet.

Please give beautiful BUffy a great big Kiss from Aunty Adele and Uncle David, you are in our thoughts.
Sending hugs and much love
XXX

Oh No, sorry to hear about Buffy. I hope she gets better soon. I do think teeth could be a suspect, its worth checking out.

Awwwww thanks folks for asking after my girlie.

No change really - she's bright in herself but she's wearing me out and thats for sure :!: I can only get her to eat natural grass at the moment - maybe its more comfortable for her rather than trying to chew meadow hay :!: so shes been supervised in the Garden three times already today which she really loves and shes even managed a binky or two so she carn't be feeling too bad in herself.

She gobbled her Winter Mash tea and eat her breakfast this morning so again that encourageing I'm just so worried about this darned lump which I think I can feel on her bottom jawline as I know if its an absess then it will be bad news as Buffs will probably need xray and poss some kind of surgery :(

Shes producing poo's but not brilliant quantity or quality but I guess thats to be expected if there not the normal amount of hay roughage going through :roll: - but at least her gut is working, Id even thought of maybe blending up the hay into small bits but I guess this probably won't work as I presume her gut needs to break down the hay naturally to get the fibre benefit :?: - its just awful to see her sitting in her tray and staring at her fresh hay and looking back at me as if to say "I just carn't eat this mum" :!:

So its off the Vets tomorrow evening - no good worrying about it I guess (she says pacing the floor :roll: ) until the Vet has had a feel of her jaw so I'll update you when she gets home tomorrow, her appointment isn't until six so it'll be early evening before I get to post to you.

Cheers Mates - Buffs send a snuggle to her Forum Pals for thinking about her. :wink:

Aww, sorry to hear she's still not bounced back to her usual self.

Its certainly a good idea to get the vet to have a good look at those teeth if only to rule it out. Have you had a look at her front ones? If they have broken or grown funny then cutting her hay into shorter pieces might help.

Grass is good though, afterall its what hay is really :)

You could try individually dipping her SS pellets in water and then hand feeding them. According to bunnies they taste better that way ;)

Let us know what the vet has to say.

Tam

Tamsin said:
Aww, sorry to hear she's still not bounced back to her usual self.

Its certainly a good idea to get the vet to have a good look at those teeth if only to rule it out. Have you had a look at her front ones? If they have broken or grown funny then cutting her hay into shorter pieces might help.

Grass is good though, afterall its what hay is really :)

You could try individually dipping her SS pellets in water and then hand feeding them. According to bunnies they taste better that way ;)

Let us know what the vet has to say.

Tam

Thanks for this Tams - I've done a check of her front teeth and they seem fine - the lump I can feel is in her lower jaw underneath her back teeth area - funny enough she had a runny eye on exactly the same side about a week or so ago - so may be connected :?

She can eat her SS (albeit slowly) but as I'd been worried about her statis and weight loss I did her a mash last night with veggies etc to try and bulk her up a little which she really loved and she's having some baby food with oats too - so I'm fast becoming the Jamie Oliver of the bunny world me thinks :shock:

I think when they chew hay they use a different chewing action dont they :?: - I'm sure thats what I've read somewhere.

:lol: :lol: Look well if she's just having me on cus she just wants open access to the Garden and scrummy fresh grass - Phew :!: :!: - that would be some relief :)

Hiya Folks - and hello from the Trouble half of my "Cheeky Girls" - namely Buffy :roll:

Well she's had a poke and prod from Deborah who gave her a thorough teeth examination. This statis is still in the mystery stages really, Deborah isn't convinced at this stage that its her teeth - she couldn't spot anything obvious but would need to Xray to be conclusive. Buffs does have a lumpy jawline on the one side but apparently that can be quite natural in some bunnies and it might have been that I'd just not noticed it before - gotta say I only felt along her jaw when I became worried about her teeth and the lumpy feeling thats there doesn't seem to have got any bigger over the last few days.

Soooooooo :!: - Buffs has been popped on Metacam and still the prepulsid for a couple of days to see how she goes and if still no improvement then I think Deborah will want to Xray her.

Still worried about her weight though - she is such a skinny bunster at the moment and seems to want constant food but I'm trying to restrain myself a bit as I know if I fill her up with winter mash and her normal veggies she definately won't bother with her Hay! - What a terror she is :lol:

Mind you I did Catch Buffs having a quick munch on some Hay early this evening so I've got everything crossed that its a good sign :?

jasper = gut statis

Hey guys,

My lionhead bun jasper stopped eating last wednesday and was resident at the vets thursday until today. Hes been syringe fed at the vets and now hes home hes not improved :(

I really need to get something fibre-full down him, since hes been home today all hes eaten is a bit of cabbage (spring greens). I read someone mentioned baby food for fibre on here? If so which baby food??? and how much do u feed?? I'm completely desperate now for what to do until he returns to the vet in the morning!

Help!

Vianne

Hiya Vianne

Baby Food doesn't really help with fibre intake - its more for bunnies which are suffering weight loss - although with statis it can sometimes aid in helping movement through the gut.

Buffy normally has around a couple of good heaped spoonfuls but I think if he's floppy and there is danger of your bunny dehydrating you really need veterinary advice so its good the Jasper is popping back to the Vets tomorrow.

A lot of Vets also don't hold much with the theory of Baby Food - my own vet who is real bunny savy frowns a bit when I mention it but its helped Buffs through some difficult stages before for weight gain but I think you just need to tread a little carefully and put too much through your bunnies digestion too fast.

Sending a snuggle for little Jasper.

Jasper

Thanks,

It's just so hard as to know what to do because you just want to help them so much!

I've been up all night syringing him recovery and water. Half the time its just sat in his mouth. He's not at all interested in Lilly or food or drink but is sat washing his front paws.

I'm gonna ask for painkillers for him as he grinds his teeth very occasionally (sometimes when he eats or drinks) and for him to have lots of feeds and hydration. The vet seems to think that x-raying him would be a bit risky because of the anaesthetic and she was like "we might find a tumor or something!"

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Will update you of his progress.

Vianne xx

Back