• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why do we worry so?

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
Skip has his new home today a new 48" dog crate. I didn't know what to line it with so i used some leftover carpet as he seems to love the carpet.
The problem is I worry about EVERYTHING...... :cry:
Would carpet be ok for him?
He doesn't seem to like the cage that much but i didn't have room for both the cages so he could get used to it slowly :? He seems OK (eating/drinking/pooing) but a bit mopey.
I hoped he would be happy as it is a lot bigger for him. Oh well I will see how it goes, wish i could be laid back about it all, but i worry about him all the time...... :roll:

That sounds like me!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I worry about everything too!

I wondered about carpet too, but was worried (lol) that sophie would dig it all up while we were out as she is a right little digger! I also think the metal floor is great and really easy to disinfect, as it goes, Sophie loves it as it is! :D

hi, I use lino on the floors of the hutches, really easy to clean. Maybe he isnt used to the smell of the new one? Didi u put some familiar things from the old cage in for him? I suppose all change affects them in different ways, maybe the extra space is making him unsure. Hopefully he will get used to it quickly and be really grateful to you for his expansion. :D

kath

Mine has a plastic floor but I didn't know if he would like it as it was so slippery?

I also keep worrying the crate might somehow magically collapse on him too....!! How neurotic am I? :roll: :oops:

I don't think he is used to the height of it....maybe i should have got a smaller one but i wanted him to have more room.

Jeez sorry to go on but i feel really anxious tonight, sometimes i get like this. :cry:

linnyloo said:
Mine has a plastic floor but I didn't know if he would like it as it was so slippery?

I also keep worrying the crate might somehow magically collapse on him too....!! How neurotic am I? :roll: :oops:

Bless!!!! Worrying is part of being a bun mum! LOL

Sophie slides a lot on hers too, but it doesn't seem to bother her,

you could always try the carpet when you are there to watch and see

what Skip does! :D

Never thought of the cage collapsing :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Worrying is OK, it means you care. I worry about my two as well.

Have you put things in Skips cage that will smell of him? Toys from his old cage, whatever was on the floor of his old cage - even if its unnecessary cos of the carpet. Is it in the same place as his old cage?

He's get used to it. Charlie was unsure when he moved into his big dog crate - he didn't go upstairs in it for about a week. Skip has got used to one thing it'll take him a while to settle in, just keep an eye on him, he'll be fine.

I don't see any problems with the carpet, is he a chewer? Just keep an eye on him. Mine are both chewers - I let them eat cardboard as its never caused them any problems but I am very careful with new things they might chew - their outdoor cage was lined with vetbed but I found Lavender eating it so have taken it out! We're back to towels and fluffy blankets which they just lick. Mine actually don't like the whole base to be covered - if it is they just fold it up so they can lie on the plastic - don't think that you necessarily have to cover all of the bottom.

I hope Skip is happy in his new home. :D

I've put some of his toys in their and I think i may cut the carpet smaller so he has some plastic also to lay on. The cage is in the same place so thats ok.

Hopefully he will get used to it, my other half says Skip gets better things then he does and I shouldn't worry so much all the time but it's hard :lol:

linnyloo said:
Hopefully he will get used to it, my other half says Skip gets better things then he does and I shouldn't worry so much all the time but it's hard :lol:

My other half says exactly the same, I got to Marks & Spencers foodstore (its my nearest supermarket :shock: ) and buy their veg for the bunnies, they are utterly spoilt. I bet your other half loves Skip too though even if he doesn't show it. I had a 10 minute phone conversation with Steve yesterday where he wasn't listening to a word I was saying cos he was talking to a bunny!

If you're feeling adventurous put a second level (rather get your other half) to put a second level in the dog crate - Charlie and Lavender love theres, they rarely sit downstairs.

Good idea he loves being up high.....do you have any pictures?

How did you (or other half) make a safe second level for them?

At least other halfs are good for something lol :lol:

Mine loves Skip to bits and now he can fit in the crate too !!

Pics of the crate with second level.....http://photobucket.com/albums/v210/bevbunny/Bunny Crate/

Oh yes, Steve attempts to get in the crate with them. They use the upper level to demand fuss, either by hanging over the upper level and poking their heads out of the doors or like this...
Copy1ofImage031.jpg

oh dear, I didn't realise it did that, sorry, can't work out how to do it, so I'll just post some of the pics...........

buns002.jpg

lavenderscrate008.jpg

If anyone decides that they want to have a go I can give them some more pics and get Steve to write some instructions - he actually drew up plans and everything which I know he'll be happy to share. :D

I'll get the plan off steve, write some instructions and add some pics, then post/send it. A few people have said that they want to have a go - it makes it worth while buying such a massive dog crate as you can use the height as well!

You'd be better off if I sent my dad round, he lives in the west midlands (I lived there until I went to uni) and he's a carpenter - he'd make a bunny penthouse suit with ensuite bathroom and balcony! :roll:

:shock: :shock:

Tell your dad I live at.... LOL

If he ever wants to have a go, there is a huge dog crate here just waiting to be turned into a penthouse suite!

Ha, plans would be great though, I've always wanted a top part to her cage, that was always my plan when I had the dog crate! :roll: :D

yeah me too :lol:

I'm a bit worries the water bottle doesn't work properly as it is a tight fit what do you lot use on your crates?

Hi
Just caught up with this. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who frets about the bunnies. Squidgy now has a double hutch inside, and we were worried he didn't like it, but now he loves it too much and hardly comes out!
Mine prefer to drink out of a bowl. It can lead to the occasional spillage when it inadvertently gets jumped in :roll: but works well.

bev just had a look at your cage its greatttttttttttt!!!!! wish i could do something like that but with giants dont think it would be bigg enough! do they do a bigger dog cage than the 48"?

eve x

linnyloo said:
yeah me too :lol:

I'm a bit worries the water bottle doesn't work properly as it is a tight fit what do you lot use on your crates?

I have a water bottle, although I have bought loads of them in the past, this one seems ok. It is a tight fit though! Just make sure it it is always full, it tends to leak and drip less then!! :D

Back