• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I get my new bun to trust me?

Feeling a little bit disheartened at the moment. I know i've only had my bun for 5 days, but as the days go by he seems to be getting more scared of me rather than more comfortable with me.

The first day I brought him home he would let me pick him up just fine, but each day he seems to get more and more scared of me and i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong! Sometimes I just sit in front of his cage and talk to him softly in a gentle voice, but if I move an inch he bolts into his cat bed to hide from me, and he won't come out until i've gone away.

I've tried giving him free run of the room, but he goes straight back to his cage, and I don't want to force him to come out because I think this might delay our "bonding" even further if i'm constantly trying to pick him up and force him to do something he doesn't want to...

My workplace is only round the corner from my house, so I go home for lunch every day. When I went home today I thought i'd make myself something to eat and try to let him out for a run around my room. I spoke to him gently, opened the cage doors, and I put my hand towards him slowly so he was aware of me coming, and he started running away, and then he just bolted and hid in his cat bed again.

What should I do? He seems more and more terrified of me every day!

I've had 5 rabbits in the past when I was younger, but none of them have ever been remotely nervous or skittish, so I don't have any experience with this sort of behaviour!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Let him come to you in his own time. Someone on here suggested sitting and reading, completely ignoring him, and he'll soon be curious enough to have a sniff! My bunnies outside always run away when I go in the run, but soon come out to sniff what I'm doing, and to come for a nose rub. Theres's a thread on here somewhere, I'll try and find it....

So I shouldn't be trying to handle him or pick him up or anything? Should I just leave his cage door open and let him eventually pluck up the confidence to come out and explore?

Thanks!

Thanks i'll have a look at those links!

I've read the Rabbit Rehome link before and it talks about offering your rabbit yummy treats, well I have tried offering a bit of broccoli to my bun but he bolted from me.... again! :(

it's frustrating isn't it?! My piggies squeak at me like mad, and run away when I'm feeding them, but I've had them for three years and they know who I am! :roll: They soon come running for the food though :lol:
Try sitting there with the food near you, but don't move at all, see if that helps. my o/h lays in the floor with pieces of carrot on him, so Squidgy uses him as a plate :lol: :lol:

HS said:
it's frustrating isn't it?! My piggies squeak at me like mad, and run away when I'm feeding them, but I've had them for three years and they know who I am! :roll: They soon come running for the food though :lol:
Try sitting there with the food near you, but don't move at all, see if that helps. my o/h lays in the floor with pieces of carrot on him, so Squidgy uses him as a plate :lol: :lol:

Aww that's so cute lol! I'll have to try to fence off an area of floor by his cage so he can't just walk around me and avoid me completely! :lol:

Awww Bunsters - what are they like eh! - sounds like he has a fab home with you there too - he just hasn't worked it all out yet :lol: :lol:

A few things which might help you:-

1. Bunny love the hand that feeds - you could try introducing a little treat occassionally like a very small piece of carrot and see if he'll come to - if you rub the scent of the carrot onto your hands too as that should make you "pal of the month" - if its a regular treat too - he'll soon get to know when its due :lol: :lol:

2. Lovely that your sitting and quietly chatting to him - try the "I'm ignoring you game?" - sit and read a paper or magazine and see if he comes over to investigate you. Good one too is to lie flat out on the floor as you never know he might do some climbing investigating on you too.

3. If you putting your hand towards him - don't forget that Bunster have very little vision right in front of their nose area so this could spoke him.

I'd resist picking him up just now if he's getting a little stressed - I'd give him some time to gain his trust and then you can introduce picking him
gradually.

Oh yeah! - and you'll definately need loads of patience - Zac is fab now but initially he was really frightened of being picked up but he's fine now but its taken 8 months to get there :lol: :lol: :wink:

Good luck - hope this helps.

Awww Bunsters - what are they like eh! - sounds like he has a fab home with you there too - he just hasn't worked it all out yet :lol: :lol:

A few things which might help you:-

1. Bunny love the hand that feeds - you could try introducing a little treat occassionally like a very small piece of carrot and see if he'll come to - if you rub the scent of the carrot onto your hands too as that should make you "pal of the month" - if its a regular treat too - he'll soon get to know when its due :lol: :lol:

2. Lovely that your sitting and quietly chatting to him - try the "I'm ignoring you game?" - sit and read a paper or magazine and see if he comes over to investigate you. Good one too is to lie flat out on the floor as you never know he might do some climbing investigating on you too.

3. If you putting your hand towards him - don't forget that Bunster have very little vision right in front of their nose area so this could spoke him.

I'd resist picking him up just now if he's getting a little stressed - I'd give him some time to gain his trust and then you can introduce picking him up
gradually.

Oh yeah! - and you'll definately need loads of patience - Zac is fab now but initially he was really frightened of being picked up but he's fine now but its taken 8 months to get there :lol: :lol: :wink:

Good luck - hope this helps.

Back