• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying?

Jazzy B Bunny said:
Is it worth it if i only have one bunny and she wont be introduced to any others?

Well from the point of view that it prevents a lot of Cancers then yes :)
there are risks involved with surgery though and if you search around to find a vet has has specific experience with spaying , this is your safest bet.
Perhaps try and avoid settling for any Vet, do some research first .
The RWA lists rabbit friendly vets if you are a Member, or if you tell us which area you live in, someone on the Forum may be able to recommend a good Vet :)
You need to weigh up the pros and cons of spaying, but as long as you are armed with all the facts then you can make the best decision for your bunny.
I tend not to have Does spayed here in the Sanctuary, but most are elderly when they arrive, and my personal view is one of a more naturalistic approach with bunnies but I guess it all depends on your own personal experiences of bunny care :)
If we can help further please do not hesitate to ask
Best wishes :)

Depends on the temprament of the bunny in question.
I had a single male for 7 years who was never done and he was a big softy. Then I had a young male who only calmed down when he lost the wedding tackle 8) .

DSCI0024.jpg

I had Sophie spayed and she lives with us and not another bun. I had it done even though I'm not going to pal her up because of the risk of cancer.

Sophie did take a lot longer than most to recover from the op, so it is important that you get a trust worthy vet. My vets were great, they used to call me at work to tell me how she was doing and they would fit her in when she needed to be seen even if they were busy.

Good Luck! :D

yeah i adpoted a bunny from a rescue when she was 8 but died not long after due to uterus cancer so I would advise you get her done :)

Hi,
I live in hillingdon (Nr Heathrow) . Can anyone recommend a good vet in this area.
I awould rather go by a recommendation. Thanks

Sarah

If you are prepared to travel over to Twickenham, Animal Rescue and Care a small animal rescue have a vet who neuter all our rabbits who come in which we can recommend. We have taken in more than 300 rabbits in the past 3.5 years we have been set up, most of these of both sexes have required neutering. PM me if you want more details.

Janice

Animal Rescue and Care

Hi

Greenwoods in Uxbridge is a brilliant vet, I would highly recommend them. I use the one in Chalfont St Peter which isn't too far but my friend uses the one in Uxbridge, they are both very good. My bun has had 2 ops there, she is nearly 6 and she has had the very best care from them.

Nicola

They should be very good as Greenwoods in Chalfont are. If you aren't happy there then the Chalfont branch is only about 15 mins away, those are the ones I use (and they used to be Blue Cross vets when we were based in Chalfont) and I think they are brill.

Good luck.

Nicola

i think everyone should get there bunnies neutered, especially the girls. i wasnt going to get my rabbit bella neutered, until she started getting stroppy with me. when the vet operated on her she had a tumour and she was 2 years old!

sophie

Back