• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jerky

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
I noticed this evening that Skip was sitting still in his cage but then he did a jerky moment all over. It didn't last long but of course i worry..... :(

I have also noticed that now and then he shakes his head like he might have something in his ear and then scratches it. He tends to do this when there is hay around like it irratates him. I have checked in his ears and they look fine, he is eating/drinking and pooing as normal.

Am i paranoid or do other bunnies do this?

My little blaise goes through moments just like this. Actually, you just beat me to asking about it! It usually happens when Blaise is laying down, his little head does these little jerky movements..and he has been itching his ear after he does it. He doesn't have any ear problems...so I dont know either. I dont know if something is wrong with or buns or not...but if someone knows please post ASAP!!!

Hiya it is probably nothing at all to worry about, sometimes bunnies shake their head when they have a build up of wax in their ears.
This wax is not visible from looking down the ear, so if you are concerned, pop the bunny along to your vet so he/ she can check.
The Vet can give you some ear drops to help move the wax out.
Bunnies can get ear mites too, so if the skin looks flaky and red, this can be another cause of the shaking head syndrome too :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The more serious reason can be an inner ear infection which may/ may not affect balance in its early stages.
It may be best to see the vet just to give you peace of mind.

Best wishes

Bunnies also shake their ears if they are annoyed or if there is a sound agravting their ear, these sounds aren't heard by the human ear either. I am sure he is fine :D

BirdieBun said:
Bunnies also shake their ears if they are annoyed :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: funny you should mention this BirdieBun as Milton the Angora shook his ears at me this morning....he does it when I am slow getting the food into his bowl :roll: :roll: :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I love the way Angoras ear pom poms waggle, it all adds to the effect!! :wink: :lol: :lol:

hi

Pepper was frightened when the postman knocked on the door today - when I came back into the room he shook his head at me, ran up and bit my boot as if to tell me off :lol:

Must remember not to wear sandals....

Edana, Benji and Pepper :love:

Back