• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm New too

Mad_cat_rabbit

Warren Scout
Have just discovered this wonderful site, full of bunny mad people like me.

I have 2 dwarf lop eared rabbits,who are my babies.

Harry is the oldest (6 this year) a big soft brown bunny. I adopted Harry from a rescue centre in the west midlands nearly 4 years ago. He came from an abusive background, some evil person :evil: had pulled all his nails out, cut off his whiskers and kept him in a 3 foot hutch and never gave him exercise :cry: . He had just reached his target weight when I adopted him. You would never guess he'd been abused from his behaviour. He answers to his name and will come running over whenever he sees you for cuddles. He thinks he's a baby and loves being rocked on his back :D . Some times when he's in the house he acts like a cat and wants constant stroking, head butting you if you don't oblige.

Marmalade is the youngest (nearly 1) a mad orange coloured bunny. I bought her from a large pet store, at first she was very placid and easy to cuddle, then I went on holiday and when I came back her hormones had kicked in and every time she is in season she turns into devil bunny :twisted: Getting her back to her old ways is a trial and tribulation, the scars I've got from her pouncing on me is unbelievable. Want to breed at least 1 litter from her, before getting her spayed, she has real maternal instincts and went through a phantom pregnancy not long ago (it was her first time and Harry is firing blanks!).

I recently lost Duke a grey moody dwarf lop (2 years old) to an inherited jaw deformity that wasn't pick up on til the teeth started causing problems. He died as a result of complications during his recovery :cry: .

Harry and Marmalade are missing him like crazy as am I, looking around for a new playmate for them. Have already picked out potential new names (Fudge, Smudger, Filo, Jewel to name but a few), just waiting for the rabbit before matching up the name.

I would have hundreds of them if I could but the other half isn't a big fan (but he did cry when Duke died).[/b][/quote]

Hiya,

Welcome to the forum. Your bunnies sound like real characters :lol:

One thing though - I'd strongly advise against breeding from a rabbit purchased at a petshop (especialy the large chains) their stock generally comes from mass supliers who care very little about the genetic history of the animals they breed from. This means although your bun may not have any problems she could be carrying genes for alsorts of things which will effect her offspring. One of the most common is teeth problems, I've come across a couple of people who have had litters that have teeth so bad they need regular dental work from as young as six weeks!

If you want to breed then you really need to get rabbits from registered breeders who have records of their animals family history so know of any problems that could crop up.

There is an article here written by a breeder you might find helpful: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/breedingrabbits.asp she covered some of the downsides to breeding as well as the cute baby buns part :D

Tam

Hello Mad cat rabbit :wave:

sorry about Duke :( they do leave a big gap in our lives when it is their time to leave us :(

Harry and Marmalade sound gorgeous :D :D :D have fun wabbiting with every one :D :D

Welcome to the board :wave:

I agree with tam about the breeding. I got my Rabbits from a pet store to start with years ago and they "accidentally" mated :roll: . Although my Toby is as fit as a fiddle his offspring came out deformed and blind sometimes, so I couldn't breed my boy. But then my other rabbits were fine for breeding. However I do "slightly" disagree with just breeders breeding pure breeds - Id HATE it if cross breeds (like my Toby) was left to die out :cry: I love cross breeds they are so interesting, where as the pure breeds are so cute :wink: Oh don't ya just love wabbits

Anyway I am gonna shut-up now hehe :D :lol:

Back